Necessary experience

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Lynne

Necessary experience

Post by Lynne » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi!
This is my first post(!) so hello everyone : ) I was just wondering, some universities specify that they require at least one year of experience for their DClin course. Is this one year at the time of your application, or at the beginning of the course? I just graduated and started an AP job in October, so I don't have a year's experience quite yet!
Thanks,
Lynne

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Hmm I'd never thought about it like that... I'll be keeping my eye on this thread!
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:36 pm

People do get on the course with just one year's experience - applying with a few months experience when they have their first assistant post. It's not about how much experience you have, it's about what you've learned and how you reflect on your experience in an interview situation and whether you can demonstrate that you've developed the skills and qualities necessary for training.

To get an AP job as quickly as you have probably means you have a lot going for you. My advice would always be to apply, if only for the experience of applying. Be realistic that you have less experience than many applicants and the average age of entry on to training is 27. Try to see the application process as a potential learning experience if you don't get a place. Just writing the form is a good opportunity to think systematically about what you've done and where there may be gaps to think about filling in over the next year.

Ruthie

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Some courses (Teesside for one) stress that the 12 months must be at the time of applying

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks Ruthie! I'm definitely going to put in an application just for the experience of going through the process. I hadn't really thought of it but it will be good to identify what the weaknesses in my application are at the moment.

lakeland, do you know which other courses insist you must already have a year's experience when you apply? That would rule out applying for me.

Thanks,
Lynne

Bella

Post by Bella » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:37 pm

I think Leicester says at least 12 months at the time of applying too.

I would check the CH website and email courses that are not clear to make sure.