Essex interview feedback 2019

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
ell

Re: Essex interview feedback 2019

Post by ell » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:51 pm

Food for thought, Spatch. I dislike a false dichotomy as much as the next person, but it doesn't feel that false when you literally don't see any clients for a week because you're spending your time reading applications, interviewing, and giving feedback. Still, nobody dies cos they don't have a therapy session for a week, so it's maybe not as bad a thing as we might be making it sound. It's just frustrating to be berated when as individuals we are often making our best effort with supporting aspiring CPs. I appreciate this can result in some of us being a bit defensive. It's certainly unhelpful for us to end up in a us vs them situation.

I can see the process is incredibly stressful and difficult for many people, and so I think most of us agree something needs to be different. I'm struggling to come up with good ideas though. I'll certainly advocate for giving telephone feedback if I ever get to that position where I can have a say. But is this enough?

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 pm

One thought I just had was perhaps using service user representatives (who have been on interview panels are paid and have training) to give feedback if clinicians are too busy.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:39 am

My issue is not people wanting feedback. I'm alll for that and agree wholeheartedly that a "them and us" scenario is unhelpful and unhealthy. But I DO have an issue with people demanding that feedback on their own terms, in their own format, at a time that suits only them. If that sounds defensive maybe it's because I've grown weary of the abuse (some of it very aggressive and personal) I've received over the years. I agree totally this needs to be a 2 way conversation - but do think SOME (emphasise the some) applicants fail to recognise the complexities involved. Any improvements are welcome, but there has to be give on both sides.

Also, not getting at you, Spatch, but doesn't your suggestion re service users rest on a (pretty large) assumption that these people have more time than the clinicians? I would guess most lead equally busy and demanding lives so am not sure that would work.