Essex interview feedback 2019

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
ell

Re: Essex interview feedback 2019

Post by ell » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:51 pm

Food for thought, Spatch. I dislike a false dichotomy as much as the next person, but it doesn't feel that false when you literally don't see any clients for a week because you're spending your time reading applications, interviewing, and giving feedback. Still, nobody dies cos they don't have a therapy session for a week, so it's maybe not as bad a thing as we might be making it sound. It's just frustrating to be berated when as individuals we are often making our best effort with supporting aspiring CPs. I appreciate this can result in some of us being a bit defensive. It's certainly unhelpful for us to end up in a us vs them situation.

I can see the process is incredibly stressful and difficult for many people, and so I think most of us agree something needs to be different. I'm struggling to come up with good ideas though. I'll certainly advocate for giving telephone feedback if I ever get to that position where I can have a say. But is this enough?

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 pm

One thought I just had was perhaps using service user representatives (who have been on interview panels are paid and have training) to give feedback if clinicians are too busy.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:39 am

My issue is not people wanting feedback. I'm alll for that and agree wholeheartedly that a "them and us" scenario is unhelpful and unhealthy. But I DO have an issue with people demanding that feedback on their own terms, in their own format, at a time that suits only them. If that sounds defensive maybe it's because I've grown weary of the abuse (some of it very aggressive and personal) I've received over the years. I agree totally this needs to be a 2 way conversation - but do think SOME (emphasise the some) applicants fail to recognise the complexities involved. Any improvements are welcome, but there has to be give on both sides.

Also, not getting at you, Spatch, but doesn't your suggestion re service users rest on a (pretty large) assumption that these people have more time than the clinicians? I would guess most lead equally busy and demanding lives so am not sure that would work.

Such_a_lovely_girl

Post by Such_a_lovely_girl » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:24 pm

I thought this was a really interesting read! I am in the odd position of being both offered a place for educational psychology training at Birmingham this year (not without its own application challenges - 13% success rate), and a service user being seen by a psychologist at the CMHT again locally.

Spatch is right, and you can be on both sides of the fence.

AngieAndersson

Post by AngieAndersson » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:17 pm

Interesting read.

RightsaidFreud

Post by RightsaidFreud » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:20 pm

I found this to be a really interesting read, having received my share of rejection feedback. As an AP, I don't have experience giving interview feedback myself, but having heard CPs give interview feedback for AP posts, it sounds like a pretty thankless job. That being said, something that I really admire about the field of clinical psychology is how people pull each other up the ladder, because they've been there and they know how hard it is. I remember telling my housemates (working in other fields) about feedback I had been given from an AP post, and they were amazed that they had even bothered to let me know that I didn't get it.

In my own experience of DClinterview telephone feedback, I remember having high hopes that this would provide me with the answer to life, the universe and everything. So, I can completely relate to the feeling that feedback will increase the likelihood of the desired result next time. But the reality is that unless you've really missed the mark, the feedback will probably be fairly general. They interview a lot of people, and may not really remember you by the time you get feedback. However, on an emotional level it felt really important, it provided me with a feeling of closure, and I remember feeling so grateful that a member of the panel had taken the time to call me. It made me feel more like a person, and less like a nameless, faceless applicant as the 'Dear Applicant' emails post-interview do. I'm like, my invite to interview email said 'Dear RightsaidFreud' but now I see we're back to a no-name basis... :|

On a side note: I wonder if supervision might be a good platform to reflect on performance. I had a fantastic supervisor who I discussed my answers with (what I could remember anyway) and that gave me some reassurance, but also ideas of how to approach my answers if there is a next time!

JackIsCurious

Post by JackIsCurious » Mon May 04, 2020 1:25 am

ell wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:39 pm
And clients are the priority for most of us, not job applicants I'm afraid.
I was finding your post an interesting and helpful read until you decided to be pointlessly condescending. It's disappointing that most of the qualified posters are coming across quite poorly in this thread.

ell

Post by ell » Mon May 04, 2020 8:02 am

JackIsCurious wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:25 am
ell wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:39 pm
And clients are the priority for most of us, not job applicants I'm afraid.
I was finding your post an interesting and helpful read until you decided to be pointlessly condescending. It's disappointing that most of the qualified posters are coming across quite poorly in this thread.
Ok, thank you for the feedback. I hope you still found some of what was said helpful even if certain things were not said in the best way.