Elimination disorders

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
May

Elimination disorders

Post by May » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts around preparing for an AP interview within an Elimination disorders clinic or if anyone has worked in this type of environment.

I've been reading issues around causes and interventions for enuresis and encopresis.
I'm also thinking about aspects related to child self esteem at home and in school and the importance of working systemically with the family.

I have worked with individuals with elimination disorders in the past through my role as a support worker with the National Autistic Society and as a playworker for children with various learning difficulties but this was a little different as there was often a large communicative aspect to this, e.g. with smearing behaviours.

Is there anything that anyone would recommend i read or, for anyone who has worked in such an environment, any important issues to think about in relation to this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

May

:)

astra

Post by astra » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:26 pm

there's a website called "Eric" that's really good for this. Just google Eric and it should come up.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

HayleyT

Post by HayleyT » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:30 pm

I don't have loads of experience in this areas, but there are some great books to use with children available, for example there is one called 'sneaky poo'.

from what I have picked up some people seem to take a sort of narrative approach, particulrly in regard to externailising the problem, such as the 'sneaky poo', so this might be worth looking at.

Hayley

May

Post by May » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks Astra and Haley.

Those are both really helpful resources!

Using a narrative approach seems like it would be really useful with young children.

:D