10th AP interview this year- Exp of a RA

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
desh3060

10th AP interview this year- Exp of a RA

Post by desh3060 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Hello aspiring clinical psychologists,

I just came back from a 2hour drive from my 10th interview this year and shortly received a phone call. The interviewer explained how unfortunately I was not successful candidate this time and they felt I would be brilliant for clinical training, I had a good understanding of various topics (e.g. CBT, patient groups, etc), however they felt that I did not apply my clinical experiences enough to the questions. The interviewer later implied that this could be due to my limited clinical experiences in regards to the service.

I have heard a similar narrative from previous interviews and on numerous occasions I have been told I came 2nd or 3rd but I was told that the winning candidate said that bit more to get the job. On two occasion I have been told I have been put on a list, where I would be contacted when upcoming AP posts are needed and once the interviewed added me on LinkedIn and recommended me to their head of service (And encouraged me to keep in touch).
These are the cities/towns I have gone for interviews: Cumbria, London x2, Newcastle area, Norfolk, Peterborough, Northampton, Nottingham, Middlesbrough, Hull & Bradford.

In general learning about different services, populations and relating them to my experience has been a learning experience, which has expanded my understanding of MH, NHS and psychology. But investing all of this time and money in attending these interviews has not been easy and has tested my resolve in pursuing clinical training.

In general I am starting to feel like these 6months have been like a long journey in trying to find more clinical experience in making me THE 'all-round candidate' for clinical training. My RA post, which I started in Dec 2014 is ending in Oct16 hence my flurry of job applications. I have even started applying for PWP trainee funded and self funded.

I was wondering if there are any other people who are in a similar position or have experienced some thing like this and would like to share their thoughts? :D

miriam
Site Admin

Re: 10th AP interview this year- Exp of a RA

Post by miriam » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Sounds like your applications are good, but your interview skills need work. Have you considered having mock interviews or interview coaching?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

desh3060

Post by desh3060 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:53 pm

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have previously had 2 mock interviews with clinical psychologists and a few from people outside of psychology. My supervisor has also given me some tips, which I have used. I also used methods like STAR and then reflection (relating to service or me)
I have been successful in previous applications. Last year I was offered a role as an AP but at the time I turned it down because I felt my current role had more scope for development.

With that said, I think your right.
I wouldn't hurt getting more practice. I might try getting some help with this.

desh3060

Post by desh3060 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:24 pm

I remember when writing my previous entry, I felt frustrated, whilst thinking why the hell am i doing this?
After a few days I pulled myself together and decided not to give up. I am now happy to say I have been verbally offered PWP training, which starts in September 2016! :)
I look forward to enjoying a July where I am not applying for jobs or stressing or assignments/exams and I eagerly await for September to start :)