Research Assistant Interview

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
nm2277

Research Assistant Interview

Post by nm2277 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi all,

I have an interview coming up for an RA job, involving developing an intervention for anxiety. I have never interviewed for an RA job before so I just wondered if there is any difference in how I should prepare compared to, say, a HCA/AP type job?

Not sure if anyone has any advice for what other steps to take, apart from reading round the research for the particular area?

Really appreciate any guidance

workingmama
Team Member

Re: Research Assistant Interview

Post by workingmama » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:33 pm

I'd want to know what (if any) research training you have had, including thinking about what you got from your undergrad re research methodology.
I'd ask about your experience as an RA, including seeing if you can find examples of non RA posts in which you have been involved in any research (clinical audits, questionnaire development, service development/improvement more widely, participant/service use involvement).
I'd ask about your motivation for research, and I'd personally want to hear that you have an understanding/have thought about the relationship between research and direct service provision, and why that floats your particular boat.
I'd be interested in if you'd thought about any ethical issues in psychology research.
Just some starters for ten for you. Good luck!
Fail, fail again, fail better.

nm2277

Post by nm2277 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:59 pm

workingmama wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:33 pm
I'd want to know what (if any) research training you have had, including thinking about what you got from your undergrad re research methodology.
I'd ask about your experience as an RA, including seeing if you can find examples of non RA posts in which you have been involved in any research (clinical audits, questionnaire development, service development/improvement more widely, participant/service use involvement).
I'd ask about your motivation for research, and I'd personally want to hear that you have an understanding/have thought about the relationship between research and direct service provision, and why that floats your particular boat.
I'd be interested in if you'd thought about any ethical issues in psychology research.
Just some starters for ten for you. Good luck!
Thank you for taking the time to reply, workingmama - those are all really helpful things to think about!

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am

I'm just about to advertise for a (six month) RA, and then for another one (two years) in about December, then another shortly after that (also 2 year post) (three posts), so I'm very much thinking about RA interview questions now - one is definitely going to be to find out whether the applicant has made any effort to read about the topic we are hiring the RA to work in/my own area of research. I am also swayed (rightly or wrongly) by people that make the effort to contact pre interview (and even pre being offered an interview) to ask for any reading that would be helpful. Hope that helps.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

nm2277

Post by nm2277 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:58 am

workingmama wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am
I'm just about to advertise for a (six month) RA, and then for another one (two years) in about December, then another shortly after that (also 2 year post) (three posts), so I'm very much thinking about RA interview questions now - one is definitely going to be to find out whether the applicant has made any effort to read about the topic we are hiring the RA to work in/my own area of research. I am also swayed (rightly or wrongly) by people that make the effort to contact pre interview (and even pre being offered an interview) to ask for any reading that would be helpful. Hope that helps.
Hi workingmama,

Oh that's exciting!
many thanks for your help. unfortunately I did not get the role; they said they were very impressed with me and my skills but went with another applicant. Not much feedback other than that really. I will make sure to use your advice into the next interview (whenever that chance arises again aha!)