AP Interviews

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
MiniChestnut

AP Interviews

Post by MiniChestnut » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just coming to the end of my masters degree, and have been applying for my first "proper" job. I've done quite a few different voluntary bits and bobs over the years so thought I'd try my luck and apply for AP jobs. I've been very surprised to find that I've actually been really successful in getting interviews, I've had 9 now within the past 3 months. Personally I attribute this to only applying for jobs within my specific field of interest, and I'm also fortunate enough to be in a position where I'm able to relocate so haven't been limited by location.

I've been asking for feedback from all my interviews. To start with I was getting things like "be more specific in your examples", "go into a bit more depth" etc. So I have definitely been working on that and consequently my interviews have gone from around 20 minutes to closer to 40 minutes! I've also been getting very positive feedback in my more recent ones and have been made reserve 3 times now! I usually get told it's a case of candidate X having more experience of doing Y. Which is understandable - this would be my first role out of uni and despite doing a placement at both undergrad and masters, I know many candidates will be further along the career path than me.

I guess, whilst I wasn't expecting to get this many interviews, I also wasn't expecting to have to interview this many times before being successful! So what I'm asking is, do you think at this point it is just a case of perserverance and one day my luck will change? Or do you think if it was going to happen it would have happened by now and I should consider looking for other positions instead, such as support work?

Would hugely appreciate any advice/alternative suggestions/"I'm in the same boat"!

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: AP Interviews

Post by Geishawife » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:35 pm

I don't think this is an "either/or" scenario. It can take people many interviews for AP posts before they are successful, so don't give up hope on that front. You're obviously progressing with your interview technique so I would continue applying for AP posts. BUT, AP posts are not essential for getting on to the doctorate and there are MANY skills to be gained from support worker roles or health care assistant roles and I would suggest you apply for these sorts of posts as well.

There's nothing to stop you taking a support worker job and continuing to apply for an AP job whilst working in that role and growing and developing. It would be a shame to miss out on the opportunity for skill development whilst waiting for a post that isn't the be all and end all. Good luck with it all and enjoy the journey.

MiniChestnut

Re: AP Interviews

Post by MiniChestnut » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Geishawife wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:35 pm
I don't think this is an "either/or" scenario. It can take people many interviews for AP posts before they are successful, so don't give up hope on that front. You're obviously progressing with your interview technique so I would continue applying for AP posts. BUT, AP posts are not essential for getting on to the doctorate and there are MANY skills to be gained from support worker roles or health care assistant roles and I would suggest you apply for these sorts of posts as well.

There's nothing to stop you taking a support worker job and continuing to apply for an AP job whilst working in that role and growing and developing. It would be a shame to miss out on the opportunity for skill development whilst waiting for a post that isn't the be all and end all. Good luck with it all and enjoy the journey.
Thank you for your response. I definitely understand your point and can see why support work would be so valuable. My primary concern is that as I feel I'm getting so close now, I would worry about accepting a support worker role and then being offered an AP post shortly after. I'd be concerned that I would be messing the employer around if I accepted and then left very shortly after! Is this common? Are they used to people not staying very long?
On the other hand, yes it make take months yet! So it would be a shame to miss out on building skills. I actually applied to a Bank support worker post just the other day for this exact reason, and that it feels like less commitment than a contracted one.