Trainee PWP - Role Play

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
jonyboy99

Trainee PWP - Role Play

Post by jonyboy99 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi everyone

I have an interview for a Trainee Psychological Wellbeing practitioner coming up and I have been told that within the interview there will be a short role play. Could anyone tell me what the role play will consist of and what type of questions I will be asked.

Thanks

Jonathan :)

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Trainee PWP - Role Play

Post by Geishawife » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:40 am

Asking for details of interview questions is against forum guidelines as it could confer an unfair advantage. There is a "mega thread" with general questions listed so maybe start with that.

jonyboy99

Post by jonyboy99 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi

I understand that but I am wondering if any general role play details could be shared as it states in the 'interview' forum description about general ideas, "what topics might be covered". Any main themes among past role play?

Thanks

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:00 am

Our forum rules clearly say that soliciting or providing information that is not in the public domain about an interview or selection process is not permitted. It is a form of cheating, and given you have shown your first and second name in your post, and the forum is public and searchable, you run the risk of your interviewers reading that you have tried to undermine their selection process by seeking inside information.

From the perspective of the forum, we are here to level the playing field by sharing information about the profession, we are absolutely not here to help individuals gain an advantage over other candidates for interview, or to undermine the fair selection process being used by fellow professionals and services. We have lots of existing information about different client groups and about role plays as part of the selection process which you can search, but we do not give advice based on the specific job you are interviewing for. You've been told by a longstanding qualified member that this breaches our forum rules, and now you have been told the same by an administrator, so if you ask again you will get a formal warning and run the risk of being banned.
Last edited by maven on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: user has requested a change of username and removal of identifying informaiton
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

alexh

Post by alexh » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:53 am

I have no knowledge of trainee PWP interviews. Is there already a thread where we have discussed how to approach role-plays in general terms? See for example viewtopic.php?t=10088

On a very general level, what do you think the aim of a role-play as part of a clinical selection process is?

It seems to me that it is the closest the selectors can get to seeing how you might perform a task in a real situation, as opposed to hearing your narrative description about what you have done in the past or would do in the future. There is a hierarchy of performance: competence in describing how to perform the task < competently role-playing the task < competently performing the task. Crucially, it helps to distinguish those applicants who can 'talk a good game' and those who can actually play.

There may be a greater or lesser element of 'challenge' in any role play task as selectors will usually be very interested in seeing how you respond under some pressure, as well as allowing you demonstrate the core competencies for the role. You could think about the essential and desirable requirements of the role for ideas on generating your own practice roleplay scenarios. What is it essential that a trainee PWP be able to do in interpersonal situations in the job role and what would be desirable. Presumably, if you have been invited for interview you have written "I can do X, Y & Z", now all you have to do is perform one of those skills on the day and stay calm if an unexpected challenge arises :)

There are some examples of clinical skills role plays on youtube.

If you can enact a role play with a friend or colleague, record it (video>audio) and review your performance you will gain a very useful perspective on yourself.

jonyboy99

Post by jonyboy99 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi

Thank you very much for your advice. It has been helpful and I am greatful that you have taken the time to write it :) hopefully others will find it helpful also.