Reflections from shortlisting 2013

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Reflections from shortlisting 2013

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:28 pm

enid wrote:I can't believe that any of those things have actually happened.
You'd be amazed. We've had discussions on this forum involving people who have experienced most of these! Plus in my professional capacity I've heard of several of 1, one of which I had to deal with myself. I've been involved with discussions about 2 and 3 with people in my peer network. I know of two people in other years on my training course who fell into section 4. I suspect almost every CP will have seen a 5 in the department at some point. I've had to report concerns relating to 7 and 8. I've not had a 9 or 6 in a trainee personally, I know of definite examples with regard to APs.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Spatch

Post by Spatch » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:34 pm

I would like to stress that much of what Miriam has pointed out exists on a sliding scale. Most of us, whatever our profession, will have done something that falls into one of those categories. Usually unintentionally. Part of the purpose of training is bring a neophyte psychologist to a place where they can practice independently and to a high standard. "Problematic" only comes into the equation when there is repeated incidents combined a lack of learning; I think the cases are so memorable is because they are comparatively rare.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

msmc

Post by msmc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:56 am

miriam wrote:
enid wrote:I can't believe that any of those things have actually happened.
You'd be amazed. We've had discussions on this forum involving people who have experienced most of these! Plus in my professional capacity I've heard of several of 1, one of which I had to deal with myself. I've been involved with discussions about 2 and 3 with people in my peer network. I know of two people in other years on my training course who fell into section 4. I suspect almost every CP will have seen a 5 in the department at some point. I've had to report concerns relating to 7 and 8. I've not had a 9 or 6 in a trainee personally, I know of definite examples with regard to APs.
I've expereinced qualified CPs do some of the things listed too! None of the extremes I guess but some of the more minor issues mentioned by Miriam have certainly occured in services I have worked in! I guess anyone can makes mistakes can't they :?

astra

Post by astra » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 am

blue86 wrote:Also, Astra - thank you for your contribution on the reflections from short-listing. Out of curiosity, do you keep reflective notes on most activities? Being faced with so many personal statements and interviews I am wondering more and more if I should keep a reflective journal of sorts. I am currently doing less clinical work, but who knows, maybe it might help?

NO I don't. Only some things. i use supervision and driving time as a reflective space rather than writing everything down, but when I do something a bit different like shortlisting or interviewing where I think my reflections might actually be useful to a wider audience I might, and in this example it has then made me think about my own thought processes and how others might react to them. Here, I am reassured that other qualifieds are roughly in agreement with my take on things, but interested in how I might come across as quite pedantic and judgemental for bringing up things like spelling and grammar as an issue. I am very reflective and aware that my understanding of the many uses of the apostrophe (and it's relative importance) differs from that of many people and I can take a bit of criticism for that without being too upset by it, so for me this has been a useful reflective exercise. Perhaps you could do a similar thing by reflecting on here about n interview or application you are doing, how you have answered questions etc (being aware of the forum guidelines on giving away interview questions first, mind) and seeing what feedback you get? Just a thought. . .
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

blue86

Post by blue86 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:32 pm

astra wrote: Perhaps you could do a similar thing by reflecting on here about n interview or application you are doing, how you have answered questions etc (being aware of the forum guidelines on giving away interview questions first, mind) and seeing what feedback you get? Just a thought. . .
Thank you astra, I am really considering doing this. I am not exactly a very reflective person, more on the analytical side I guess... That's why I look up to people who are and learn what I can to improve :) I would have never thought of doing some reflective notes on interesting activities for example, but I can see how helpful that might be. So thank you for the suggestion :)

astra

Post by astra » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:29 am

Just a little 2014 update here, having shortlisted again this year. I was sharing a room with another CP also shortlisting and we had different piles of forms. She was through hers in half the time because so many of hers were clearly a "No" just on the basis of very minimal clinical experience, whereas i had a really good pile this year. i had a lot of people with good solid academic credentials and a decent amount of experience which was fairly well reflected upon. Whilst my colleague's pile was skewed towards the "do not interview" end, mine was skewed towards the "definitely interview" end. This probably tells us that overall there was a fairly normal distribution. I had few out and out howlers this time but I did laugh out loud at the comment "I enjoy listening to music and baking. . ." Having never listened to baking I was somewhat intrigued.

Importantly I noticed that bungee jumping is totally out of favour, with not a single mention, with foreign travel also considerably diminished, whilst baking is universally practiced now by all aspiring clinical psychologists. Clearly austerity measures are having effects we would never have predicted. (Either that or everyone is taking my earlier reflections on previous years far too seriously!!) let me re-emphasise that your choice of extra-curricular activities is useful background information, but not actually grounds for acceptance or rejection. . . usually. Of course if you can evidence your baking skills with samples (gluten free for me please) then I'm pretty sure you'll be on to a winner* :wink:

* this was a joke and not to be taken seriously in any way shape or form, please do not send cake samples in with your form!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Glorianne

Post by Glorianne » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Astra,

Coming to this post somewhat belatedly, but I was wondering if I could pick your brain about equivalence of non British undergraduate degrees. This is something which I have worried about before, but couldn't quite identify the best place for talking about (or proving?) equivalences, aside from my actual letter confirming GBC. Any thoughts on where might be best to mention this in the application form for future reference?

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:02 pm

So, does this mean that if I manage to combine bungee jumping with a perfect Mary Berry cake, I get straight to interview?
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Gilly wrote:So, does this mean that if I manage to combine bungee jumping with a perfect Mary Berry cake, I get straight to interview?
mmm only if you are listening to the Mary Berry Cake whilst bungee jumping, I assume.

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:24 am

For a second there I thought I might be one of the hordes who talked about baking this year (it's genuinely been a life long love of mine, and I harbour dreams that one day I'll pack it all in and just make pretty cakes all day).... so I checked my form, and no baking. I went with my old-lady knitting predilections instead.

Now, I'm of course wishing I'd written about bungee jumping while knitting at the very least...

philly

Post by philly » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:31 pm

argh I put baking! (similar to above i DO actually love baking... my retirement dream is to join the womens institute and bake and make jam for the rest of my days). Ironically, I put something about travelling then took it out because I read that travelling comes up too much - my supervisor even said they having a running joke about it at the uni... I'm sure it's nothing to worry about as you say.. but I lol at my hopes of trying to be original / stand out :|

Nads

Post by Nads » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:24 pm

When speaking to other AP's I feel like the odd one out. I can't bake, always been too poor to travel (I would have loved to though) and yoga is not my thing...football however :D

astra

Post by astra » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:55 pm

But bungee jumping is so last year! It's all about the baking and knitting this year!

Randall

Post by Randall » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Alex wrote:
Gilly wrote:So, does this mean that if I manage to combine bungee jumping with a perfect Mary Berry cake, I get straight to interview?
mmm only if you are listening to the Mary Berry Cake whilst bungee jumping, I assume.
I went to 'like' this for a moment and then realised I'm not on facebook.

I used to do a lot, now I just play dungeon keeper and watch Hollyoaks. Might disclose that next year round and see where it gets me!

alexh

Post by alexh » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:49 am

I wonder if it was a mistake to say I make kitchen knives. should've played safe maybe.