UEL New Process

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
philly

UEL New Process

Post by philly » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi All,

I've tried to find info about this for ages for a while on the forum and haven't been able to, so forgive me if this has already been answered. I realise it's also "out of season" - I didn't apply this year so I'm very much out of the loop!

I know UEL changed their criteria this year, to state that they were requiring 65% above in undergrad... but something doesn't seem clear

"Applicants must hold an honours degree of at least a high 2:1 class (overall grade of 65% or greater) which is acceptable to the British Psychological Society as conferring Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership. Applicants with a conversion diploma/MSc must have a high 2:1 class or better in their first degree."

Now I'm hoping this refers specifically to conversion MSc's? and not MSc's overall, but I can't seem to find any information about if you do have an MSc (not conversion) above 65. I'm sure most universities say a 65%+ in a MSc can make up for a low 2:1?

I also read on here somewhere that apparently UEL don't take individual queries? So can't even ask them! Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: UEL New Process

Post by Geishawife » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:21 pm

I think the bottom line is that (for UEL, at least) you MUST have obtained 65% or better in your first degree in order to be considered. No matter what grade you obtain in your MSc, if you don't have a high 2:1 in your first degree you will not meet their criteria. The conversion MSc is aimed at people for whom their first degree was not in Psychology and who need to obtain a qualification that will give them GBC. It is a specific qualification for that purpose and is not aimed at "bumping up" a lower grade at undergrad.

SOME courses will accept an MSc as "making up" for a low 2:1, others will not. UCL, for example, make it very clear that your first degree MUST be 65% or higher and I think UEL now take the same position. I am happy to be corrected on that, but that would be my reading of what they are saying.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but better to be clear now rather than waste an application if you do not meet their minimum criteria. If you have a low 2:1 you will need to apply to courses that do not insist on a higher grade or those that use selection tests rather than degree marks.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Their personal statement makes it clearer suggesting a masters mark of 70% will make up for a low 2:1 - http://www.uel.ac.uk/wwwmedia/schools/p ... -2014).pdf

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:39 am

Happy to be corrected on this. I was basing my answer on what the OP had written. Proves that good research will give you a more accurate answer...

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:28 pm

On this note, I did a science degree and then moved into psychology. I did a two year conversion course in psychology, then a Masters. I got a 2:1 in my first degree, although it may have been below 65%. I got a 1:1 in both my psychology degree and Masters. I wonder would they count the conversion course or the science degree as my "first" degree? The science one is pretty irrelevant in my opinion.

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:03 pm

persephone56 wrote:On this note, I did a science degree and then moved into psychology. I did a two year conversion course in psychology, then a Masters. I got a 2:1 in my first degree, although it may have been below 65%. I got a 1:1 in both my psychology degree and Masters. I wonder would they count the conversion course or the science degree as my "first" degree? The science one is pretty irrelevant in my opinion.
I can really relate to this Persephone. I also have a science-related degree and I scraped a 2:1 in mine (I think I probably got 59 point something percent and it was rounded up!) Although I am a long, long way off from being able to apply for the doctorate (I'm yet to even embark on a conversion course!) I got scared when I saw that some universities seem to look at a person's first degree, as well as their conversion course mark, and I sincerely hope I have interpreted this incorrectly. Like you I consider my science degree to be pretty irrelevant. It's a degree I chose to do at 18 when extremely ill with depression and probably in no state of mind to make decisions about my future. Consequently I had no passion for my course. Also, my time at university was fraught with personal problems such as deaths in my family and struggles with mental illness. Therefore that barely-achieved 2.1 is in no way a reflection of my academic ability and I'm rather horrified at the thought that it could be a mark against me in the future!
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

WindWhisperer

Post by WindWhisperer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Just to say I empathise Prosopon and to hopefully offer a ray of sunshiney hope for you! :)

Likewise, I experienced depression whilst completing my undergrad degree and scraped a 2:1 (through a rule at my uni that meant if your third year average was above 60 you could be bumped up to a 2:1 overall and my third year average worked out at 60.4%, so VERY much a bump up!) I then went on to do a masters after this and managed to somehow get a distinction but even then the thought of courses seeing my undergrad transcript made me feel sick - especially knowing that courses would realise I'd only obtained a 2:1 through a uni-specific rule. However, I'm now ending my second year of training and can honestly say there are courses out there that will look at you in a more rounded sense than who you were when you were 18 :) Best of luck for applying xx

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:11 am

WindWhisperer wrote:Just to say I empathise Prosopon and to hopefully offer a ray of sunshiney hope for you! :)

Likewise, I experienced depression whilst completing my undergrad degree and scraped a 2:1 (through a rule at my uni that meant if your third year average was above 60 you could be bumped up to a 2:1 overall and my third year average worked out at 60.4%, so VERY much a bump up!) I then went on to do a masters after this and managed to somehow get a distinction but even then the thought of courses seeing my undergrad transcript made me feel sick - especially knowing that courses would realise I'd only obtained a 2:1 through a uni-specific rule. However, I'm now ending my second year of training and can honestly say there are courses out there that will look at you in a more rounded sense than who you were when you were 18 :) Best of luck for applying xx
Thanks, WindWhisperer, that is very reassuring and has given me hope. Congratulations for getting on training. I suppose that if I ever get to a point where I can apply I will have a lot of experiences to reflect on!
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.