Etiquette for requesting time off before even starting job

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Prosopon

Etiquette for requesting time off before even starting job

Post by Prosopon » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:51 am

I was given a start date for a new job last week and immediately made them aware of a date I absolutely cannot work, which is almost two weeks after the start date. They seemed to be absolutely fine with this. However, I have just remembered my mum has bought me a theatre ticket for another date not long after that. Would it be okay to tell them about this date too or does it look bad? If it's okay, should I do it before my start date, or wait until I have started?

Or should I just keep quiet and keep my fingers crossed that I am not given a shift on that evening?! Obviously the job is more important than the theatre, but I don’t want my mum to have paid for me to go and for me to have to turn it down. On the other hand I do not want to create the impression that I am inflexible and high maintenance!

So I'm not too sure how to handle this situation. Please let me know your thoughts!
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

alexh

Re: Etiquette for requesting time off before even starting j

Post by alexh » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:56 am

I would apologise and ask... the sooner you do it the more time they have to (re)arrange the rota.