The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Pinkcrocodile

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Pigeon wrote:Same scenario here, hmmm... :?
Oh really Pigeon? Same courses? It's unsettling isn't it, but obviously I feel very lucky to be in the position!

purpledot

Post by purpledot » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:51 pm

Esme wrote:
Thank you for sharing purpledot. A few years back when I was first using the forum you didn't really have many people posting unless they'd been successful and I think it gave a skewed view of how many people were getting on and personally it made me feel rubbish! I find this a much more supportive forum now that people share their experiences either way. I really feel for you for your brown (I've had 3 myself previously and am expecting another this week!) and wish you all the best in your Lancaster interview.
Thank you for your kind reply :) keeping my fingers crossed that you had a positive outcome from your interview!
Alexander wrote:
I know where you're coming from Purpledot. I had a traumatic interview years ago and it took me ages to recover from it. It helped me to remember that being unsuccessful then didn't mean I wasn't good enough, just that I didn't get it right on the day. I really hope you figure out what works for you. When is your Lancaster interview?
Thank you, I didn't expect the experience to have such an impact, and it's been hard at times to pick myself up and get into a positive mindset for the next one. I'm interviewing on the Tuesday for Lancaster, how about you? Good luck for the interview, and congrats on the Exeter reserve - am I right in thinking that they interviewed quite early so the list might move quite a bit?

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:28 am

Exeter interviewed from 10th to 13th April, so quite early, yes. I've no idea how large the reserve list is though, nor where I am on it. The wait continues... Again, I totally know where you're coming from with the positive mindset. I think I can honestly say now that enduring six years of pursuing clinical psychology training has been one of the greatest challenges to my mental health in my life. That said, I've learnt a lot about myself being put through it!

My Lancaster interview is the Friday, so I won't see you. I wish you all the best though. :)

hodgepodge

Post by hodgepodge » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:06 pm

I just got my email from Surrey and it's a no for me unfortunately. It's what I was expecting because the interview day didn't go well, I was so nervous and tongue-tied so I knew I'd messed it up. Here's hoping I get a better result from Salomons. Well done to all the blue's and commiserations to the other browns, at least we can breathe a sigh of relief that the process is coming to an end now!

Royal Holloway
Salomons
Southampton
Surrey ---> Surrey

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Holloway
Opponents
UCL

Surrey -> :( Rejection.

Pretty gutted, especially seeing as I thought my one interview went quite well. But was first time applying, and considering the general age and experience of successful applicants I am comparitively Young and inexperienced. And so begins another year of application stress

Congratulations to everyone that made it, both onto the Surrey course and in general.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Pinkcrocodile wrote:
Oh really Pigeon? Same courses? It's unsettling isn't it, but obviously I feel very lucky to be in the position!
No, not the same courses Pinkcrocodile... I hadn't been able to figure out the colours! I ended up with a rainbow scenario! :lol: Yes, I feel the same, experiencing equal parts of utter joy and ooh but what if... :wink:

Bangor
Leeds
Liverpool
Sheffield

Montezuma

Post by Montezuma » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Surrey
Southampton
RHUL
Oxford

Third time applying, and my first ever interview. Really surprised as I felt the interview hadn't gone well. My interview panel looked thoroughly bored. I feel that I can now relax after 6 years of trying to get relevant experience, working for free and doing jobs I hated!

Pinkcrocodile

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Pinkcrocodile wrote:
No, not the same courses Pinkcrocodile... I hadn't been able to figure out the colours! I ended up with a rainbow scenario! :lol: Yes, I feel the same, experiencing equal parts of utter joy and ooh but what if... :wink:

Bangor
Leeds
Liverpool
Sheffield
Congrats on your place at Sheffield! I hope your Bangor place materialises :) but if it doesn't, you have a great back up :)

I just keep telling myself what will be will be!

Pinkcrocodile

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Montezuma wrote:Surrey
Southampton
RHUL
Oxford

Third time applying, and my first ever interview. Really surprised as I felt the interview hadn't gone well. My interview panel looked thoroughly bored. I feel that I can now relax after 6 years of trying to get relevant experience, working for free and doing jobs I hated!
Congratulations! I hope you're celebrating tonight!

Montezuma

Post by Montezuma » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:29 pm

Pinkcrocodile wrote:
Montezuma wrote:Surrey
Southampton
RHUL
Oxford

Congratulations! I hope you're celebrating tonight!
You too! And hope waiting on the reserve list isn't too painful :)

HoneyNutLoop

Post by HoneyNutLoop » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:34 pm

So the surrey reserve list has moved up one place... for anyone who is interested. Found when emailed surrey about something else. I am currently on reserve for surrey with fingers very crossed!

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Argh, so close!

Bangor
Birmingham(5th)
Exeter
Lancaster

Flickk

Post by Flickk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Surrey --> Surrey

:( Really hope it's still funded for those of us trying again next year

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:16 pm

What do you mean Flickk?

Flickk

Post by Flickk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Mm just rumours and trickles through the grapevine.. but heard a lot of talk about halving (and eventually removing) funding for trainees :| There was also a government paper published earlier this year talking about creating a post-grad title for applicants who have attained 1 year full time as an assistant, and that this will be a prerequisite for the Doctorate..

Not intending to scaremonger though, they are just rumours after all