The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Maisy24

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by Maisy24 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:30 am

Salomons
UCL
RHUL
Surrey

So unbelievably chuffed! :D I am going to accept UCL so I will decline my Salomons place on Monday, and my RHUL interview place too for anybody waiting on reserve lists, hope it helps!!

DLuk

Post by DLuk » Sun May 08, 2016 10:56 am

Hello!

Congrats steffjl that's fab news you're on at trent!
Chipchip, i'm the same as you! I didn't get on either but the interview process did make me think if i am willing to relocate for the 3 year doc. I don't think i'll go for trent again as it's so far but i did really enjoy the day and met some fab people.

Good luck all x

KID1987

Post by KID1987 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 pm

I was wondering if there's anybody on here who has accepted a place this year at Newcastle?

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon May 09, 2016 8:31 am

KID1987 wrote:I was wondering if there's anybody on here who has accepted a place this year at Newcastle?
If you look on the Clinical Doctorate Courses page, there's a post from someone starting the Newcastle course.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon May 09, 2016 11:12 am

BlueCat wrote:
BlueCat wrote:Really pleased to see clinpsy's first places offered :)

If you could take a minute to contribute to our ongoing surveys that would be great! We've been doing these since 2010, and I think it is really helpful to track people's trajectories.

How many times did you apply viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8733

and how many years after graduation viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8809

Great to see some outcomes for people, if you could spare a moment to add to our poll, that would be great :)

There's also a thread "what experience did you have when you got on training" which I think is a useful resource for applicants to see the sorts of profiles of people who are successful viewtopic.php?f=32&t=145

If you could take a minute to contribute to this, that would be fab.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

shiftkey

Post by shiftkey » Mon May 09, 2016 11:46 am

Birmingham
Salomons
Surrey
Trent

This was my second year of applying and frankly after going through these two interviews it's my last. I don't really want to have to keep putting my life on hold to go through so much stress and to be patronised during interviews and feedback!

Well done everyone who has been offered a place :D

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon May 09, 2016 11:56 am

shiftkey wrote:Birmingham
Salomons
Surrey
Trent

This was my second year of applying and frankly after going through these two interviews it's my last. I don't really want to have to keep putting my life on hold to go through so much stress and to be patronised during interviews and feedback!

Well done everyone who has been offered a place :D
Thank you for sharing your outcomes, it is really helpful for less positive outcomes to be posted as well so that the process is accurately reflected, and sorry to hear your outcomes weren't what you'd hoped :( Was there nothing helpful in the feedback? I'm also really curious what the aspects were that made you feel patronised?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Steffjl

Post by Steffjl » Mon May 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks DLuk, really excited :D

sah2211

Post by sah2211 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:38 pm

I too had an interview this year that didn't turn out to be successful - having been on reserve lists in the past. I understand there are many competent people all deserving of a place, but equally realise I cannot keep on the application treadmill forever. (Even though my supervisors all affirm that I would make a brilliant clinician and it should happen for me soon- this is the career I strive for but i am seriously contemplating finding a secondary career path into the unknown which is very daunting.)

However I too have not had a wholly positive experience with the interview set up and feedback arrangements. Which saddens me as don't we work in a profession where we strive support people and understand the importance of contexts ?!

I've experienced: poor communication - having to wait 1h45 mins from arrival (being under the impression time allocated was my personal time for interviewing) before carrying out any of the interview tasks . Then another wait of an hour until meeting the panel. No prior warning about schedule of the day.

Environment - 5 panel members and interviewee squeezed into a very small room practically touching elbows with each other, along with terrible background noise, having to pause and wait for the distractions to pass in order to hear one another.

Faces of boredom and dis-interest- i realize the panel have a tough job and will have been exposed to at times similar answers though out the selection process, however again don't we know how important body language is? - i would never ever contemplate behaving that way during a face to face meeting, or assessment with someone.

Feedback from a course last year, involved the key member on the panel clearly not remembering who I was (contradictory I felt as the whole day was supposedly about finding out more about us as individuals) and then speaking out loud at not understanding what her notes and abbreviations meant (then asked me to clarify what i presented on!?).

On a different occasion; written feedback taking place 3 months after interview. Again not personal.

I am pleased to read that there are interviews which have gone well as this gives me hope that if i choose to apply next year that this may be something i get to experience too.

Michael54321

Post by Michael54321 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:02 pm

Rejected. Oh well: it was my first ever interview and I'm only 23. I would feel a bit cheap getting offered a place with so many people spending years to get in.

I felt one of my two interviews went amazingly, but the clinical interview went quite poorly. Thankfully they're sending out feedback in a few weeks :)

I guess I'll just spend the next year improving myself and doing research/clinical work. Having the experience of one interview is invaluable, honestly.

GooeyLoo

Post by GooeyLoo » Tue May 10, 2016 7:10 am

Good luck UEL interviewees. I think today's the day we're due to hear back. Glad I have lots of work with clients today; it'll keep me away from my inbox!

Jay1

Post by Jay1 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:46 am

GooeyLoo wrote:Good luck UEL interviewees. I think today's the day we're due to hear back. Glad I have lots of work with clients today; it'll keep me away from my inbox!
argh i keep refreshing my inbox! i need distracting!!! good luck x

wiseowlet

Post by wiseowlet » Tue May 10, 2016 2:10 pm

Hey fellow UEL applicants ^^^ I think that's emails out. I've been offered a reserve place which I really wasn't expecting as I felt the interview whizzed by and afterwards I thought of so many things I should have said. Good luck, I hope it's a positive outcome for you.

moony

Post by moony » Tue May 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Reserve list buddies!

Good luck!
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

Jay1

Post by Jay1 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:57 pm

i am on the reserve list too which is exciting! i wonder how much it moves? i know it is hard to tell but any ideas?