working alongside PhD

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
RhubarbCrumble

working alongside PhD

Post by RhubarbCrumble » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:02 pm

I was just wondering, has anyone done this? Even with full funding I would struggle to have enough money for living as I have other financial commitments. Is it doable?

Charlie

Re: working alongside PhD

Post by Charlie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:53 am

I am working 14 hours a week alongside my full time PhD. It's just about manageable at the minute but definitely plan to cut down my hours or finish work entirely by my final year. So it is do-able, but I do work at evenings/weekends to keep up with my PhD work. Ive found lots of opportunities for extra paid work at my uni with teaching/demonstrating positions, which is fairly well paid.

If you get a full studentship you may be limited in how much you're allowed to work alongside it, and supervisors also vary a lot in how supportive they would be of it so worth checking these things out.

lingua_franca

Re: working alongside PhD

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:37 pm

I worked full-time as a HCA during the final year of my PhD, but my hours were concentrated into three long days, so I had four clear for my thesis. I found that the variety of the work kept me refreshed. (I definitely couldn't have done it had it been office-based RA stuff.) As I approached my submission date I resigned my contract and went on the bank so I had more flexibility in how I planned my time. The arrangement worked well (touch wood - I haven't had my viva yet!).
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.