5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
Victoriomantic

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Thank you mungle, that is very kind of you... I hope so too!

And I made sure to get some lovely time in the sun that afternoon, and the next day too. Fingers crossed this sunny spell lasts 8)

The article looks great, and good luck with your reflections!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Tue May 29, 2018 10:23 am

Victoriomantic wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 pm
Thank you mungle, that is very kind of you... I hope so too!
Be kind to yourself Victoriomantic - I sadly wasn't offered an interview for any of the courses this year which was really disheartening but things will all work out in the end. If you're still waiting to hear back I wish you lots of luck :D

My 5 things for today:
1. Why has all my stuff been moved out of my therapy room without my knowledge? Running round at 8am trying to find things felt like I was on the Crystal Maze!

2. I've been offered a new job - very excited and nervous.

3. Imposter syndrome is setting in..

4. I think i've caught the travel bug... I just want to see EVERYTHING :lol:

5. I'm so hungry is it lunch time yet?

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue May 29, 2018 3:34 pm

1-4.) I am feeling very, very disillusioned right now. I am employed on a full-time contract by a research-intensive RG uni, and as a sessional lecturer at a post-92 uni, where I teach a third-year undergraduate module. This semester I have referred four students from that module to the academic misconduct committee...and that number should have been seven, but my programme head asked me to mark the other three anyway, with deductions for 'bad citation practices'. It was more than bad citing. 60% of one student's essay is made up of direct quotations from books, articles, and websites that aren't acknowledged as such, giving the misleading impression that he is formulating arguments in his own words based on those sources when in reality he is just quoting other people verbatim. I checked with the faculty registrar at my main place of employment and that would be a plagiarism case here for sure. So why is it that students can do that at another institution and get away with only having marks docked? Equally worryingly, the programme head queried one of my AMP submissions on the basis that the student's Turnitin report looked fine. So it did, but the essay was an extremely close paraphrase of a journal article and it didn't have one original idea in it! It worries me that he isn't investigating work beyond looking to see if the Turnitin score is OK. Degrees from some universities are clearly worth more than others if this is what's going on. :(

5.) Finally this awful cold is lifting, having caused me to miss out on a conference I was scheduled to speak at and a dear friend's wedding. :( I'm taking the hint and giving my body some rest,
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm

1. So Dubai happened. As predicted I was right. Some people will not let you forget them no matter how hard you try and when you see them, you understand why. Although the near future seems grey still, we are on the same path with a few obstacles to overcome. I am taking a lot from this trip and I hope the coming few months cement my faith in relationships.

2. I got the job :D I feel so blessed to have secured a qualified post even before finishing the course! Though this means the pressure is on to get the last few deadlines finished and then it is a waiting game for results.

3. Fasting has been hard. I am finding it difficult to do any work during the day and then I am too tired at night. I really need to sort out my sleeping this week so hopefully it means I can squeeze out a few hours more of concentration in the next 3-4 weeks.

4. Between fasting, work and the course, I have TOO much to do! I keep making lists of lists of things I need to do but still feel like I will miss/forget something. I suppose some of this is normal due to how hectic things have been but it is really out of my comfort zone to be feeling uncomfortable.

5. I seem to have lost my appetite which is not helping! The thought of any food isn't exciting me. This is extremely upsetting!
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 pm

MindfulPsych wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:23 am
Be kind to yourself Victoriomantic - I sadly wasn't offered an interview for any of the courses this year which was really disheartening but things will all work out in the end. If you're still waiting to hear back I wish you lots of luck :D
Thank you MP... sorry to hear you didn't get offered any interviews :( But you sound positive which is great! And I also believe things will work out well eventually. Thank you for the luck <3 I hope you get better news next year, if you go again :)

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Thu May 31, 2018 8:21 am

Victoriomantic wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Thank you MP... sorry to hear you didn't get offered any interviews :( But you sound positive which is great! And I also believe things will work out well eventually. Thank you for the luck <3 I hope you get better news next year, if you go again :)
You're welcome - I'm much more positive now.. I wasn't earlier in the year! :wink: but having just been offered a new role it feels fitting and I think it will help me whichever path I take. I've decided to reapply again for next year and have my fingers crossed.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu May 31, 2018 3:51 pm

1.) Job interview!!!! :D :D :D
2.) I have a good feeling about this one.
3.) Period pain puts a dampener on things a bit.
4.) Cats, however, improve them. If you have any sense of dissatisfaction with your life, I guarantee it would be better if you had a cat.
5.) Now time to head home and surprise my parents.
- A.A. Milne.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:16 pm

1.) Panic stations. In two weeks I'm due to go to New York for a study programme. I thought it would count as recreational study for visa purposes, as I'm not taking it for credit and I'm there for less than two months. No. I need an exchange student visa, which involves FedExing documents across the Atlantic...and I have fourteen days to get it sorted.
2.) I feel as if I'm drowning in things to do. Make a plan, Lingua.
3.) Tomorrow is the assessment board meeting. It's the first time I've had to attend as a module leader, and it feels like a test of my marking accuracy. I really hope it goes well.
4.) I'm sick of job applications. I hope I get this one I'm going for next week, if only so I don't have to trudge up more paperwork mountains for a while.
5.) What to make for tea tonight?
- A.A. Milne.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:01 pm

1. Feeling uneasy with the pace of things between job, new job and uni work. I just don't want to miss or forget anything that messes any of those things up!

2. I miss having an appetite...

3. I want to go on holiday. Again. But work and bank account say no.

4. I need patience. Usually have loads in stock but running on fumes recently.

5. Long-distant relationships are hard.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:03 am

1.) It looks as if I will get my visa in time. Just about. Breathe, Lingua. Breathe.
2.) I was shaken by the news coverage of a lecturer who killed himself after being expected to mark over 400 exam scripts in under three weeks. Academic culture can be toxic. There is a common expectation that you will work more hours than you're paid for, and if you don't you're somehow not pulling your weight or not a 'real' scholar - almost every postdoc I've spoken to feels like this. How to push back against this when we need to be seen as diligent and basically be publication machines in order to be considered for permanent jobs?
3.) One thing all the stress of the last few months has shown me is what my priorities are. I have some good opportunities right now, but I'm going to turn a couple of them down. It feels scary to do that, but I think I need to for the sake of my sanity. I can't do everything. I will focus on what I really want.
4.) The cat is on a diet. The friends who looked after her while I was away must have been quite indulgent with the treats and now I am having to be the bad guy, because if her rump expands any further the city council will be wanting to know why I didn't get planning permission for it. Cat is now very miffed at the regime change. Normally she'd be asleep on my legs at this point in the evening. Instead she is sulking behind the curtain.
5.) I need to make some friends in this city. All but one of my friends live elsewhere. It feels trickier to make friends at this stage in life. I am thinking of trying a new hobby as a way to meet people, but I'm not sure which one. (Or where I'd get the time...!)
- A.A. Milne.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 pm

1.) I had my job interview today. I think it went well. I feel cautious. I have a hunch there might have been a better candidate. I hope not. I really want this.
2.) I've got plenty to keep me distracted. Manuscript deadlines, academic misconduct cases, a cat, visa applications, and my upcoming trip to New York.
3.) Oh, and a cat. She is now ensconced on the kitchen worktop, where she knows she is not supposed to be, but I have given up trying to chase her off there and persuade her to sit in her lovely comfy soft basket. She wants to scrunch herself up on a rock hard surface next to the draining board.
4.) A friend was really kind to me today. I'm touched. I've been tired out and I didn't know anyone had noticed. She cooked some dinner for me and brought it over so I wouldn't have to stress about making food on top of all the things I have to get done tonight.
5.) I cancelled my participation in three different things this week. Ordinarily I'd be angry at myself, and disappointed, but it feels remarkably good to slow down and not feel under pressure to act on every good idea I have.
- A.A. Milne.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 am

1. I am feeling so much better about life the universe and everything. The last couple of weeks have been dark, I'm not entirely sure what the catalyst was but it hasn't been fun and it's made work and relationship stuff difficult
2. Proud of myself for being more honest than ever with my placement supervisor, in previous placements I've always just talked in vague terms about "difficulties" but this time I actually shared what was going on, at the time when it was causing problems (rather than a week later when I have a tendency to super helpfully say to my supervisor "Yeah, last week was really tricky, but it's all good now!")
3. None of my fears came into being, I was met with nothing but support, no judgement, no one telling me that this meant I shouldn't be on training, just genuine "Right, how do we make this work"
4. I really really need to get ethics submitted
5. Excited to have a go at gymnastics for the first time ever tonight! Like I need a new hobby.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 pm

1. One of my undergrads has got away with the most brazen bit of cheating I've seen. I knew they were working at the last minute because they contacted me not long before the deadline and asked some basic questions that made it clear they hadn't even begun the assignment. Next thing I know, they've handed in an assignment that they submitted for a different unit. At the academic malpractice hearing, they pointed out that there is nothing in the programme handbook to say that students can't resubmit previous work [my immediate mental reaction: "There is nothing in there about not pole-dancing naked on the flagpole either, but you know not to do it"] and they said that no lecturer had ever explained it at any point of their degree. It's mentioned in other university documents, but the student claimed never to have been given a copy of those. As we can't prove that the student was instructed verbally about self-plagiarism, they face no consequences and I have to mark their work as if it's original. This is a dodgy technicality and I am frustrated on behalf of the students who tried hard - this classmate may actually end up with a better mark than some of them after putting in half the effort.
2. This is one of the things that frustrates me about this job. I want students who wouldn't dream of doing a thing like that because they're just too interested in the subject, and they actually want the opportunity to research and write something new. Then along come students who only care about high grades, and they don't really mind how they get them. It's not all or even mostly bad - I have some terrific students - but on days like today I feel so fed up.
3. My visa documents are here and I had a nice takeaway, so things are more comfortable already. Tomorrow I'm spending the day with a friend and we're going to work on a journal article together. Relax and breathe.
4. My cat's habit of following me to the toilet and watching unblinkingly from the rim of the bath is getting a bit disconcerting.
5. Sleep time for me.
- A.A. Milne.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am

1. Really need to start using my study days for studying.
2. Also need to magic up a few extra days a week for resting.
3. Looking forward to thesis! :)
4. Definitely not looking forward to exams... :?
5. Proud of myself for plodding ever onwards.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:57 pm

1.) I didn't get the job. :( It was a bit frustrating, as I met all the essential and desirable criteria and I felt I did a pretty good interview, but part of me also feels...relieved? The interviewers were very nice, but it wasn't quite what I'd imagined based on the job description and I feel there might be something more Lingua-ish out there.
2.) I'm more disappointed not to be able to house-hunt in that area. There were some lovely places there. I'm actually wondering if I couldn't buy there anyway and then commute to wherever I end up working.
3.) I've booked a week by the sea in Northumberland for September. I love that coastline, especially in the late summer and very early autumn. It's worth the unpredictable weather.
4.) My cat has just spent about ten minutes zealously kneading her basket into shape...before abandoning it in favour of going to sleep on the floor. I don't understand this animal at times.
5.) What goes with leftover coconut rice? I'm racking my brains for something new and interesting to cook.
- A.A. Milne.