Any guidance or advice would be really appreciated.

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Dufresne

Any guidance or advice would be really appreciated.

Post by Dufresne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I have read people becoming a CP through all sorts of paths but have worries about my own, if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice. The first two paragraphs is a bit of my background, the next two contain my actual questions.

I am 23M who has have just completed a Business & Finance degree and will be graduating with a 1st 19/07/2018. I chose my degree without any real consideration and influence from my family and I think deep down I knew I did not want any career that would come from this degree.Throughout my undergrad I read/ watched Psychology related media for entertainment and in my final year I chose an organisational psychology module, in which Psychology element was the first time throughout my studies I had any genuine interest and managed to get an 82 overall for it. My professor for the module told me early on in the year he was impressed with me and had offered me the chance to do a PhD for him. Since this I have been disciplining myself and thinking about my future for the first time in my life.

I have been researching CP and have decided I want to do whatever it takes to become one. I have always being very empathetic, a good listener and have found it easier to help other people than to help myself. I understand the first step would be to do a MSc Psychology (conversion) course, my options for this are at Leeds Becket & Leeds Trinity, Bolton for some reason only offers 2 year conversion course and Man Met only offers an online course.

My main worries are that I am 23, I took an extra year in six form to have chest surgery to correct my Pectus Excavatum. I also decided to take an extra year at university. My CV is looking extremely poor, even if I did not have the extra two year gap, with my only experience being as a lifeguard and warehouse work.

As my conversion course would start in September, I have been applying for minimum wage care jobs and mental health volunteer roles, are these my best options? I am unsure if I should apply for bank roles and tell them my actual career aspirations or to apply for full time roles and not mention that I will be continuing my studies in September.

Thanks a lot for any advice

Dan
Last edited by Dufresne on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Any guidance or advice would be really appreciated.

Post by Geishawife » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pm

23?? You are still a baby! In all seriousness, however, you have more than enough time to get the relevant qualifications and experience to pursue CP as a career!! Many people start along the CP path far later than you. As far as conversion courses go, choose the one that suits you best in terms of delivery and assessment. I really wouldn't worry about whether it is 1 year or 2 years. If you take 2 years to do the conversion and spend another 2 years gaining extra experience you will still only be 27 when applying - well within the average age range.

At this stage, bank work might be your best option as it will allow you to be more flexible with your hours and hence fit in better with your studies. The actual work you do is less important than what you gain from it, so aim to learn as much as you can and take the opportunity to work with a diverse range of people. If you can make contact with CPs when at work that would be useful as it will enable you to see more of what the job entails. If you obtain solid experience when doing the conversion it will stand you in good stead for getting an AP post, a support worker post or a research post if you need to boost your research profile.

You really do have time on your side, so take your time to grow and develop throughout your conversion course and when working. CP is not a career to be rushed and a bit of extra life experience is always beneficial. Just one more piece of advice, when applying for jobs don't make too much of your future plans. The people employing you will want to see what you have to offer in the role you apply for and are keen to do that particular job, not what you might do in 3 or 4 years time.

Good luck.

maven
Site Admin

Re: Any guidance or advice would be really appreciated.

Post by maven » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Yes, as Geishawife says, take your time and enjoy the journey. Don't do the whole thing horizon-gazing about how quickly you can get to be a CP, make the most of each step.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare