Edinburgh Selection Tests

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
alicem123

Edinburgh Selection Tests

Post by alicem123 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:27 am

Hi,

Hope this is okay to ask, but I wondered if anyone could give me any guidance to whether we are expected to reference in any short answer questions used in selection? With such a short character limit I feel it may be a waste of text, but I am so used to referencing in any formal written answer and would hate for it to impact on me negatively.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
albot4000

Re: Edinburgh Selection Tests

Post by albot4000 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi! I had the same worry so am bumping this thread!

Figure if no-one gets back to us here it may be best to email the uni?

jessicastolbs

Post by jessicastolbs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Hello both!

I'm also wondering the same - sorry, not much help but also want to bump the thread. Especially so with the second question!

I suppose with such a short character limit I would be surprised if they expected a reference section. Is it worth emailing?

alicem123

Post by alicem123 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:28 am

Wondering if either of you have emailed Edinburgh to ask about this? If not I will!

jessicastolbs

Post by jessicastolbs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am

Someone posted on the Facebook group:

Hey! i emailed to ask about this and they responded that we are not required to include references in our answer. I want to put in-text references when explaining some background but i probably won’t include a reference list but who knows!

So hopefully we won’t be penalised for not writing a reference list :)

pawpaw

Post by pawpaw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm

It is always worth emailing ;)
I got that reply :
'Given the small character limit, you are not required to provide references in your answer.'

Hope it helps

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Thank ya!

siobhan2013

Post by siobhan2013 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Sorry, if this has already been asked/answered somewhere recently or in previous years but I'm having trouble uploading my answers to the additional questions. My character count is 3183 with spaces on word but when I try to upload it online it says I have too many. Even if I delete the extra spaces making it a huge block of text, it still says I have too many characters. About ready to throw my laptop out of the window! Anyone having the same problem?

Jara1991

Post by Jara1991 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Hi siobhan2013 I am having the exact same problem. Managed to solve the issue on the first question by exiting the survey and returning to a blank page, copying the answer and clicking next. However, this little trick does not seem to be helping with question 2. I am starting to ask myself whether there is a typo on the character limit?

Jara1991

Post by Jara1991 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:52 pm

siobhan2013 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 pm
Sorry, if this has already been asked/answered somewhere recently or in previous years but I'm having trouble uploading my answers to the additional questions. My character count is 3183 with spaces on word but when I try to upload it online it says I have too many. Even if I delete the extra spaces making it a huge block of text, it still says I have too many characters. About ready to throw my laptop out of the window! Anyone having the same problem?
Hi siobhan2013 I am having the exact same problem. Managed to solve the issue on the first question by exiting the survey and returning to a blank page, copying the answer and clicking next. However, this little trick does not seem to be helping with question 2. I am starting to ask myself whether there is a typo on the character limit?

Jara1991

Post by Jara1991 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Jara1991 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:52 pm
siobhan2013 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 pm
Hi again! I think the problem might have been they have restricted the answer to 3000 characters. I have been able to proceed once I have reduced it to just over 2900. Hope this helps.

All the best!

Jara

siobhan2013

Post by siobhan2013 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks for your replies! I ended up having to sacrifice layout to get it to fit! Best of luck and at least it's done! :)