5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
JB99

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by JB99 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:26 pm

1. I need to pack for skiing this week :D
2. An article I had authored has been accepted for publication, but some complications have come up. The associated stress has long removed the initial elation.
3. I moved house recently - so glad it's mostly over. Moving boxes all weekend is not the kind of weekend relaxation I needed
4. I'm expecting to hear back from Surrey this week. The test didn't go amazingly, but there's always hope.
5. Mirroring some of the mixed emotions that others are experiencing here. Luckily I'm a lone AP in my office, which I think protects me from any such competetive remarks from colleagues. That said, I think knowing other APs would be helpful, because there would be camaraderie relating to the shared struggle! The boastful put downs remind me of A levels too. There was someone who would always talk down to me, tell me I wasn't doing things right, and that I was academically less able because I opted to only do 3 full A levels. They were annoyed when they found out that I did better than them :wink:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Post by Esuma » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:21 pm

1.) Feeling pretty low / stressed about everything at the minute - work / career all very up in the air and vague and not what expected
2.) I have at least been better than last year so far with application season but now it’s gettinb closer to the deadline the temptation to check everything obsessively is overwhelming
3.) Trying to be positive and hopeful about everything non-doctorate but it’s getting harder
4.) My partner is snowboarding and I’m very jealous
5.) Really need to tidy up and sort my life out!

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:00 pm

1) Trying not to let unhelpful thoughts like "how am i still applying for this" "why did i have those years out again" "friends i was an asst with qualified years ago" take over my headspace...need to remind myself that I'm on my own journey.
2) Still offended by a fellow applicant stood behind me while in a cue for a selection test...commented to her friend..."BME (they actually identified said colour of skin not BME...but i wont add that) "shes ticked that box so will get an interview -followed by something along the lines of ticking boxes to get a free pass to next stage. If only they knew my journey is no less difficult than anyone elses. Was too anxious re selection test to respond. Annoyed with myself for not saying anything. Argh!
3) My wee nipper is now 7 months old where has the time gone?!
4) She just hit me with a wooden spoon as i type...my own fault for giving her the spoon...she doesnt respond to regular toys though.
5) Stop thinking about clinical and get back to baby.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:16 pm

1) My very dear sister-in-law is very ill in hospital with "complications" from treatment for her secondary cancer. Despite being so poorly, she remains one of the most positive people I have ever met. I am totally in awe of her strength of will and determination.
2) So grateful my youngest nephew was able to make it back from his home in Australia to be with his family at this time. Whatever the outcome, they will be able to comfort and console each other.
3) My totally wonderful and amazing husband arranged and paid for my nephew's flights without telling anyone. He did it, he said, because the last thing my brother and his family needed was extra stress. He is totally wonderful and amazing.
4) Words cannot describe how blessed and privileged I feel to be married to this man.
5) Counting my own blessings today.

ell

Post by ell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Doodlebug wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:00 pm
2) Still offended by a fellow applicant stood behind me while in a cue for a selection test...commented to her friend..."BME (they actually identified said colour of skin not BME...but i wont add that) "shes ticked that box so will get an interview -followed by something along the lines of ticking boxes to get a free pass to next stage. If only they knew my journey is no less difficult than anyone elses. Was too anxious re selection test to respond. Annoyed with myself for not saying anything. Argh!
That's just horrible. As well as factually incorrect. I'm sorry that happened to you.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Agree with Ell. It's not too late to report it.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Agree with Ell & Lakeland, that's disgusting! >:(

Geishawife, keeping my fingers crossed and sending internet love. xx

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:48 pm

Geishawife, sending love x
Fail, fail again, fail better.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 am

Sorry to hear that Geishawife. I hope things work out with as little pain for your sister in law, and as good a prognosis and/or as much time with loved ones as possible for her.

1. I think I've caught my daughter's cold. I've got lots to do tomorrow and was planning to go into London for something on Friday that I can't postpone, and take my kids to my niece's birthday party on the weekend, so I hope it is a lemsip-and-push-on-through cold rather than a junk-TV-and-blanket-on-the-sofa cold.
2. Our planning notification for a new track has been declined, so it makes it very hard to plan the work we need to do.
3. Some big decisions to make about the business structure coming up, and I still feel like I don't understand the options well enough.
4. It looks like I might finally hear about a new contract tomorrow.
5. It also looks like my compensation claim from the RTA I had in 2015 (when I was rear-ended by a lorry and it damaged my teeth) might finally be coming to an end point.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Thank you so much, everyone who has sent such warm wishes and love regarding my sister-in-law. She has rallied enough to be discharged home with the palliative care team following her up there. Her condition is terminal, but not imminent (if that makes sense??) so we are in a sort of "how long is a piece of string?" situation. She is one VERY determined lady, so (hopefully!) she will be with us for a while yet. Once again, thank you to everyone. You are a great, supportive bunch!!

redpanda21

Post by redpanda21 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Victoriomantic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:48 am
maven wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:41 am
redpanda21 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:34 pm
My fellow Assistant colleague is awfully confident and taunts me by saying he'll be successful his first time applying as he's so lucky and walked into his Assistant job with no experience - when it's unlikely I will be successful this time (second attempt).
It sounds like the kind of hubris that comes before a fall to me.
Agreed! I had to deal with someone like that once who I overheard laughing about me to someone about how low down on a reserve list I was... despite that I had 3 interviews and 2 reserve lists for places, and he didn't even get an interview. Just focus on you. They'll get nowhere with that attitude.

miriam wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 pm
lakeland wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Find him, and claim interest plus inflation.
I know where he is. He's CFO of a large company, and I'm sure very well off! However I decided at the time not to claim it. It was clear I was victorious, I didn't need his pound :)

I've just seen these replies - sorry for the delay!
All of your responses made me laugh and feel better, thanks for the reminder to focus on me and for anecdotal proof that the people who are overly confident and belittling usually finish last :lol:

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:04 am

Redpanda, glad to hear you are feeling better. Geishawife I'm glad to hear she has been able to go home at least.

1. I have so much work to do but I am forcing myself to rest for the first time in a while and I can feel my body and mental health thanking me for it
2. It was so good to do the People's Vote march yesterday, my first protest*! My sign had one serious side and one joke side. The joke was referencing my disability, and not only did several people smile at it or take photos, two people were super lovely. One said something about how I was educating people and teaching them a different word in the language, but someone else said "Can I please take a picture of your sign? My brother is Dutch and narcoleptic and it will really cheer him up!"
3. *I was a little anxious of getting crushed or if there would be riots etc., but everyone was so lovely and peaceful, even with estimated one million of us pouring through London the only "violence" was some flowers getting squished in the park ( :( ) and a woman tripping over a planter (she was fine, she didn't fall)! There was plenty of space to breathe.
4. Going to catch up with some people whose messages I've not had chance to reply to, and looking forward to afternoon tea with my bestie later
5. The sun is shining and the days are getting longer :D :D

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:12 pm

1.) I've ordered two books that are very important for the coursework I'm doing and I've just realised that I accidentally had them shipped to my old address! Grrrrrr. This is what happens when you work at three in the morning. I hope I can retrieve them without a problem.
2.) If anyone wants a hands-on experiential MA course in child and adolescent development/mental health, I thoroughly recommend the Tavi programme in psychoanalytic observation. It's changed so many aspects of my work for the better, and I feel so much better equipped to respond meaningfully to challenging behaviour. This is probably the best financial investment I've ever made.
3.) I've returned to horse riding and I went on a hack yesterday for the first time in twenty years. I don't know what took me so long. It's been quite a rough few years (PhD stress, relationship woes, then two bereavements in quick succession) and lately I've started to feel as if I'm finally bounding back to life again. I'm actually making time for fun and relaxation on a regular basis instead of working like a beaver all the time. At first it was a bit alarming, but now it feels...nice.
4.) I must rein back on the book-buying. I keep ogling different titles and then caving to temptation. I forget my salary isn't what it used to be.
5.) Time for a nice hot shower and second breakfast/pre-lunch.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:16 am

Geishawife, I hope this doesn't seem like an inappropriate comment, but I wanted to share a memory that helps me put into context the sadness of good people with shortened lives. When I was a little girl a childminder told me that some butterflies only live for a day, commenting how sad this was. I'm told I replied with "not if its a happy day, as then all they will have known is a lifetime of happiness". Maybe your sister-in-law, like a few wonderful people I have known, has had a butterfly life.

1) Thinking about people dying prematurely is a good reminder to be grateful for the time we are given and the people that we love, and also to make the most of now.
2) I enjoyed cooking and crafting with my kids today, and also reading them a chapter of the last Harry Potter book. I'm enjoying the series more reading it aloud to them than I did reading it myself, but this book is quite dark in tone so it led to quite an intense discussion about some heavyweight topics from euthanasia to moral relativism.
3) I think I've finally ticked off all the requirements for the due diligence process for the grant my company has been awarded to help us scale up our reach. We are also hoping to sign off our first contract with a local authority, and some new contracts with foster care providers this month. So hopefully this is the beginning of good things.
4) Even our planning permission finally seems to be progressing!
5) I think I'm overdue some self-care, so I might find a good offer for a spa day and massage.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:47 pm

1. It has been a strange few months. From work to personal life I feel like I need to take a step back from things and evaluate. I have 7 weeks of annual leave to take so maybe some reflection time is needed.

2. I have asked work if I can do further training this year. Cheeky, I know given I only qualified last year however I am more than meeting targets, involved in projects and doing over-time but I still feel this is less than what I was doing as a trainee. I miss the challenge and/or the stimulation of being busy. Even if they say no, it tells me where I stand in the current role/service and that will be helpful when thinking about the next steps.

3. I need to start eating better. Lately, I have no appetite and I have been feeling increasingly tired. A state of mind maybe but I know when my eating changes, my energy levels drop and I am just exhausted. A friend also recommended taking vitamin D so second week of that also.

4. Flatmate is moving in with her boyfriend. I am so happy for them. I am so unhappy about the effort the process of replacing her is taking. Awaiting response from agency regarding potential tenant.

5. Meeting his parents - pray for me ClinPsy fellows!
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'