No response rate in survey study

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Crina44

No response rate in survey study

Post by Crina44 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Hello everyone, I would be very grateful if anyone could advise about this problem. I conducted a survey study of medical doctors, and the sampling method I used was opportunistic and not very systematic - I sent emails to people I knew who were medical doctors and asked them do forward the email to people they knew, posted the link on a doctor community's newsletter etc. I did not realise at the time that this might be a problem, but I tried to submit my manuscript to a journal and it was promptly rejected because we could not calculate a response rate (i.e from how many people saw the survey, a percentage of how many completed it). The only information I have that resembles this is that I know how many people accessed the survey link, but it would not be possible to calculate a true response rate because I relied on snowball sampling etc.

I am feeling quite disheartened after my rejection, I was wondering if anyone has any advice about how this issue could be approached / mediated. Thank you for reading! :bom:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Charlie

Re: No response rate in survey study

Post by Charlie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Don't be too disheartened- rejection rates are high but that doesn't mean you won't be able to publish it elsewhere. Make sure you acknowledge it as a limitation and then try another journal. My last paper was rejected from four journals before finally getting accepted- it just took some persistence! Good luck with it!

Crina44

Re: No response rate in survey study

Post by Crina44 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:06 pm

That was really reassuring to hear! Thank you for the advice, I will definitely keep trying :alien: