Psychology or Health

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
yoyogirl

Psychology or Health

Post by yoyogirl » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi All

I am stuck on what to do, I am in the process of applying to Arden University to study BPS degree in Psychology, I also have an offer for a brick university for Health and Social Care as I was previously trial student there on ApEl basis from the Open University.
However, I cannot really decide which pathway I wish to take either BSc Psychology accredited with a clear pathway and starts in May 2019 or Health and Social Care which has a very broad pathway and is also involves meeting with people feedback in classrooms etc, the human contact and meetings with tutors in a structured way.
One of the reasons, I left the OU was the less of structure and how vague the feedback was.
Can you help me?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Psychology or Health

Post by Geishawife » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:56 pm

What is your longer term goal? Are you interested in studying just for interest (a perfectly reasonable position) or are you looking to study for career purposes? If you are interested in a career in Clinical or Counselling Psychology you will need a Psychology degree so should opt for that. If you are interested in a career in another field the broader degree might suit you better. How the degree is delivered, and whether it is a good "fit" for you is important if you want to do well, but I do think your starting point needs to be what you hope the degree will lead to.

yoyogirl

Post by yoyogirl » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:13 pm

That's the thing, I am undecided on what really I want to do for my future career plans, I am not really interested in the nursing fields but I really want a concrete plan so I know what to aim for and where to go in my life. I am a crossroads.
That's the thing I loved Health and Social Care was delivered at the Uni that I have an offer and was there briefly as transfer student temp student and I loved the structure of getting up and going somewhere, but when I was OU, I had such bad experiences that I wish I never applied to the OU in the first place. At the time it fitted my commitments with my job and was motivated and I was able as didn't have fibromyalgia and mental health condition to contend with. But then a lot happened and I became unwell and I had quit my job and was attacked and I haven't been well since. I have been able to focus, very exhausted, mood issues, memory issues, and the problems with BPD.
I want to eventually look for work when things are better with the fibromyalgia and mental health side.
I also have read really crap reviews of Arden being Distance Learning. I found distance learning to be quite isolating at times. but also great and flexible. If I accept the HSc degree at UCC I cannot leave part way through if I am unwell, I will leave with nothing, that was conditions of the tranfer. I also cannot pretend and be "alright, fine, okay" but inside and physically in agony" and suffer internally, you know with the stress, anxiety of uni, depression etc. I also don't want to be classified "jobseeker" ever again. i hated that label.... because people assumed i was dumb learning disability client.
All of my friends, all have jobs, have been to uni, graduated and I am stuck..... in crossroads.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 am

It sounds like there is an awful lot going on for you at the moment! I am sorry to hear about your health difficulties and the attack against you. It must have been an extremely difficult time. What is the position regarding your health at the moment? Reading between the lines (and please correct me if I am wrong) it seems that your health is still somewhat fragile and, if that is the case, I wonder if now is the right time to be making decisions like this? I appreciate there could be conditions attached to the offers you describe, but if you are not fully well when embarking on studies (at either institution) there is a risk your health will suffer further and you will not do well in your studies or, even worse, have to drop out and start the whole cycle again.

I would strongly advise you to take a step back from making any decisions at the moment and focus all your efforts on getting well. That needs to be your focus I would suggest. There will always be other courses available further down the line and you will be better able to make an informed choice when you are fully well again.

Good luck.

yoyogirl

Post by yoyogirl » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:47 am

The thing with mental health side of things because it’s chronic there is no cure and rarely have a day when I don’t have conditions to some degree. A mental illness doesn’t take a day off.
With the fibromyalgia that’s practically incurable just manageable and there’s only so much of break can I take from this. I have been in relapse mode since Jan8th. So I’m am now at stage where I want manage uni, and then once uni is out of the way that stress is complete, I can think about looking for work again more permanently and then if I can manage two years plus of working. I will look for friends but I ain’t worried if my mh or fibromylagia takes a bad turn during friendship making or during the period “looking for work” I ain’t worried. I ain’t desperate for money as I am not jobseeker.
To help me manage the mental health side of things either depresion I stick to one large activity per week, I take rest breaks away from everything and everyone.
I choose to interact if I want to with people being introvert I am extremely selective in this lifestyle. If it’s boring old small talk I wouldn’t turn up if you paid me a million quid. I would choose a day in my room at all costs even if I lose people.

yoyogirl

Post by yoyogirl » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:49 am

But if I do go to uni, once completed and the dissertation done and final exams coursework is done. I’m taking six months out for a holiday. Generally would involve locking my mobile in drawer and turning off social media. Paradise

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 pm

I think you need to be realistic about what each entails, and what the next steps to gaining relevant employment would be.

A psychology degree (even from a good university, and I'm not sure that Arden has any reputation that would merit that description yet, given it is a new private university) is a generic qualification that doesn't let you do anything practical in mental health at all. You need to get a really good grade, and then need to follow it with a highly competitive path of gaining relevant experience and then applying for a 3 year doctorate course to actually use the psychology in a way that is applied to people's mental health. So unless your path is one that is going to be eight or more years long and highly competitive and you are confident you will be able to get a first or high 2:1 in your degree grade, I don't think psychology will get you to your goals. It also sounds like the level of competition would be another stressor that you don't need in your life right now.

A health and social care qualification might be more practical, and is clearly something you have enjoyed in the past. It also has the advantage of being in a tangible campus university, where you can engage with tutors, peers and extra curricular activities, whilst you said that you hated the OU and felt it wasn't structured enough for you and distance learning was too isolating. Health and social care as a career path is also definitely less competitive, and the degree could lead straight into relevant work. If you wanted to come back to psychology at a later timepoint you could potentially do a one-year conversion further down the line with relevant experience under your belt, at a time when you are feeling more on top of things. So that would be the option I'd recommend from what you have written.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

yoyogirl

Post by yoyogirl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:30 pm

That makes perfect sense in what you have written nut I have got consider the unis black and white option that I give it up half way through as I will lose everything in one hit and the funding from the government. so I may have to “pretend” that that I am alright when are getting too much and things happens with my fibromyalgia I will try my hardest to say as long as I can and keep on going with it. I have already made plans to manage the concentration issues and will be speaking with my psych doctor in the next couple of weeks..
explaining to her the situation that’s making me fail or lose interest and that is the concentration and focus being the bigger problem that’s been untreated. I don’t need pills that turn me into a robot I have no mood to begin with.

yoyogirl

Post by yoyogirl » Mon May 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi All
I have my meeting with Neil at the UCC in regards to the HSc degree as I have postponed Derby and Arden for until August, so I should know by 6th June, two days after my birthday where I stand and whether I am going to go ahead with starting on September or start with Derby/Arden. I just don't want anything to mess up between June and August. UCC habit of changing their minds partly way through the process. So I am going to get in writing with what they have to say and go from there. Fingers crossed, i can get somewhere at last..... no more crossroads.

yoyogirl

Post by yoyogirl » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Hey all,
Just a quick update I went for social work degree interview two weeks ago, it went really well once I hear from my doctor in regards to the letter, I will pick that up tomorrow and then eventually I will hear from the university of Essex. I have thrown another spanner in the works, I received a phone call from a company that that I uploaded my CV to recently for a job and was recommend, I had an interview on Friday and now I am waiting for that.

I have temporarily enrolled at Derby University UDOl as my main back up, so that’s at least a start.