University of Surrey 2020 Entry: Online Q&A

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
clinlecturer

University of Surrey 2020 Entry: Online Q&A

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 pm

The Surrey course team are considering holding another online Q&A session here on the forum at a date / time TBC in September. In advance of this we would be very interested to know:

1. What is the level of interest in such a session
2. What sort of questions would you have for members of the course team

So please respond to this thread with your comments and suggestions - we look forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks (in advance),

The Surrey PsychD Team.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
HWoody

Re: University of Surrey 2020 Entry: Online Q&A

Post by HWoody » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Hello, yes I would definitely be interested in this session, thank you.

I'll have a think about questions.

One question I do have for now, is that I have heard on the grapevine that some courses may have a slight preference for local candidates who already live in the area (due to meeting shortages in the area upon qualification, as local candidates may be more likely to remain in the area after qualifying). I understand that this may only make a slight difference, if any.

Is this the case with Surrey University? I am local to the area and will stay in the area long term to work (as have family ties here).

Thanks very much

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:19 am

Hi

At Surrey your current location is not taken into consideration at any stage in our selection process. The only time we might base a decision on your home address is in the allocation of placements to trainees already accepted to the programme.

Hope this clears that up!

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi

We now have a date and time for our online Q&A! Member of the Surrey course team will be here (in the forum) between 5 -7pm on Tuesday 24th September. We look forward to hearing from you on the day, however if you are unable to attend, please post your questions here and we will respond.

Cheers!

Cuulinical

Post by Cuulinical » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:58 pm

I have a question re: having a driving license as a requirement for the doctorate. I wish to apply for the Clinical Psychology Doctorate at Surrey (Deadline October 31st 2019, to start in 2020), and am currently in the process of taking driving lessons.

I am wondering if a driving lesson is essential, and if it is, when will I need to present the driving license? Is being in the process of learning at this point sufficient?

I do not want to apply, only to not have a license by a deadline and then lose my chance of gaining a position on the course.

Thanks.

nicoleks

Post by nicoleks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Hello,

I wonder if you're able to give any advice as to what Surrey are looking for in the personal interview?

Also, do Surrey use the application form at any point in shortlisting, other than to ensure that candidates meet the minimum entry requirements?

Thank you!

Smallblonde02

Post by Smallblonde02 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:44 pm

nicoleks wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:44 pm
Hello,

I wonder if you're able to give any advice as to what Surrey are looking for in the personal interview?

Also, do Surrey use the application form at any point in shortlisting, other than to ensure that candidates meet the minimum entry requirements?

Thank you!
Hi Nicoleks,

I don't think anyone is able to give any detail about the interview questions as such on here. However, the personal interview usually involves asking about who you are as a person.

With regards to the application they look at minimum entry requirments and I believe check to make sure you have an understanding of what clinical psychology is.

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Hello

I can confirm that we use the application form not only to confirm that applicants meet our minimum requirements, but also (where required) further along in the process when determining invitations to interview.

Cheers!

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Cuulinical wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:58 pm
I have a question re: having a driving license as a requirement for the doctorate. I wish to apply for the Clinical Psychology Doctorate at Surrey (Deadline October 31st 2019, to start in 2020), and am currently in the process of taking driving lessons.

I am wondering if a driving lesson is essential, and if it is, when will I need to present the driving license? Is being in the process of learning at this point sufficient?

I do not want to apply, only to not have a license by a deadline and then lose my chance of gaining a position on the course.

Thanks.
Hi

You need to have a full UK driving licence (at the time of application) and have unrestricted access to a motor vehicle at all times (subject to reasonable adjustments in respect of any disability). You will be asked to present your licence (assuming you have met our minimum criteria) at our testing day in February as proof of ID - failure to provide us with sight of your licence will mean that we cannot allow you to take our selection tests.

Cheers!

shaharab

Post by shaharab » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if there was any more guidance regarding the topics in the written and mcq selection tests?
Furthermore, will there be any disadvantage if I am a 3rd Year Undergraduate student but have 1yr FTE experience?

Thank You
Shahara

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:41 pm

shaharab wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:32 pm
Hi,
I was wondering if there was any more guidance regarding the topics in the written and mcq selection tests?
Furthermore, will there be any disadvantage if I am a 3rd Year Undergraduate student but have 1yr FTE experience?

Thank You
Shahara
Hi

The Surrey course will require you to complete a multiple choice section (typically around research design, analysis and interpretation), a situational judgement test (which will evaluate critical thinking skills and capacity for making judgements in complex situations), and a test of ability to assimilate and communicate written information. All components will be completed on a computer.

We consider applicants in their final year of undergraduate studies who meet our minimum criteria with regard to relevant experience (1 year whole time equivalent over the last three years).

Cheers!

HWoody

Post by HWoody » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi clinlecturer

Thanks for your reply to my above question!

I will try and log into the live session later but here are my questions in advance in case I can't.

Thanks v much for your time.

1. On another thread Maven described the Surrey / Salomons / UEL courses are "perceived as more reflective/psychodynamic"  you have any comments on this and do you agree that your course is most similar to Salomons and UEL's?

2. Do you have an academic points scoring system (I think like at Bath University) where more points are allocated for a BSc first versus 2:1, and having an MSc distinction versus merit etc? If so how much weight is this given versus clinical experience?

3. How much weight do you put on applicants having publications?

4. Do you have any advice for an older applicant / career changer, in terms of the type of experience you would find most desirable? I'm thinking about this from the perspective that older applicants don't always have as many years / opportunities to do lots of honorary / low paid placements before applying?

5. My understanding is that Manchester have just introduced the GMAT as part of their assessment process. Is this something Surrey are also looking to introduce?

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Hello and welcome to our Live Q&A session on applying for the PsychD Clinical programme here at Surrey. The course team are here and ready to answer your questions!

We'll be here between 5 - 7PM

Kimberleyburke

Post by Kimberleyburke » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:03 pm

Hello,

1) can you please provide guidance on recommended preparation for the tests and interviews. For example reading / revision that would be beneficial.

2) can you please provide some advice on the structure of the interviews and some points to think about in our preparation.

Many thanks

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi

We cannot provide specific guidance on our tests, however you can see previous examples of the MCQ on the Salomons website:

https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/social-and ... ction.aspx

The MCQ is set at an undergraduate level, so some revision of your research methods course would be a good idea.

Candidates meet with two interview panels, Personal Suitability and Working with People. Each has a distinct focus, and panel membership is made up of course team members, service users and carers, regional psychologists and final year trainees.