Where am I going wrong?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Spatch

Re: Where am I going wrong?

Post by Spatch » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:22 pm

Well here's the problem. I'm going to be studying at the University of Bristol soon and, as far as I can tell, they do not have any clinical psychology modules. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that aspiring clinical psychologists look at these courses and their utter lack of clinical subjects as a hurdle.
I can think of at least 4 clinical psychologists off the top of my head that are directly employed by the University of Bristol in varying capacities. While their undergrad degree is more experimentally focussed, they do have modules that are very clinically relevant. Also if you are there, and you are able to band together with your fellow undergrads, you are probably in a good position to demand teaching and modules from clinical psychologists when you give your student feedback.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

hawke

Post by hawke » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:46 pm

sorvio wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm
The idea of working incredibly hard for years in order to get ahead and overcome anything I lack only to be immediately shot down one day and have my dreams crushed because I scored 115 on an IQ test instead of 130 like some of the other applicants is very scary indeed. Further, I don't know how much I trust IQ tests and whilst I do quite well on verbal questions and some others, there are certain ones (namely spatial logic, having to rotate shapes in my head etc.) that I do very poorly on and might really bring my score down even though I don't think it holds much relevance to mental health careers.
The 'IQ' tests used look at verbal and numerical reasoning and situational judgement, which are very relevant skills for a psychologist - a lot of the job is being able to process information quickly and make sound decisions under pressure. The interviews then tend to focus on the personal and clinical skills that you also need. No spatial rotation skills in sight, thankfully!

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:17 pm

I think you have fixated on a fantasy that you fear, in which the assessment doesn't suit you. But the reality is that only a small minority of courses use assessments, and that those assessments measure highly relevant skills to a clinical psychologist, so keeping on harking on about IQ tests and these being terribly unfair is a total strawman.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

sorvio

Post by sorvio » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:42 am

Fair enough then, it doesn't sound as bad as I thought it might be. Do you think the things it measures are at all improvable, or are they pretty much fixed?
Spatch wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:22 pm
Well here's the problem. I'm going to be studying at the University of Bristol soon and, as far as I can tell, they do not have any clinical psychology modules. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that aspiring clinical psychologists look at these courses and their utter lack of clinical subjects as a hurdle.
I can think of at least 4 clinical psychologists off the top of my head that are directly employed by the University of Bristol in varying capacities. While their undergrad degree is more experimentally focussed, they do have modules that are very clinically relevant. Also if you are there, and you are able to band together with your fellow undergrads, you are probably in a good position to demand teaching and modules from clinical psychologists when you give your student feedback.
I see. Well, I guess I'll try and influence them to offer clinical modules when I'm there or at least get in contact with these clinical psychologists and try to get some advice.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:50 am

sorvio wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:42 am
Fair enough then, it doesn't sound as bad as I thought it might be. Do you think the things it measures are at all improvable, or are they pretty much fixed?
People study for the tests, and learn the format and how to optimise their approach. Many are situational judgements that are very much influenced by experience and knowledge of the appropriate processes, and some evaluate research methods skills that can be learnt. But again, if you feel this is a weakness, just apply to courses that don't use them. There are plenty!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Sorvio, I doubt not having done a clinical psychology module at BSc level is going to put you at any kind of disadvantage. The important thing at this stage is that your course is accredited by the BPS and that you get a good mark. I think Spatch's point was that students who sign up for clin psych modules (where available) are likely to be those students who hope to become clinical psychologists one day, so it would help them to be given a clear concise picture of what's involved.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.