Participants needed: clinical psychology & moral distress

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
theelaughingcow

Participants needed: clinical psychology & moral distress

Post by theelaughingcow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Hello! Would you like to share your views on ethical clinical practice?

I am recruiting clinical psychologists for my doctoral thesis, exploring how we navigate ethical dilemmas in clinical practice, and what happens when we encounter a tension between our values and institutional procedures.

Criteria:
- qualified clinical psychologist
- working in adult mental health, in the UK

What does participation involve?
- an interview, of 30-60 minutes, where you will be asked to recall times where you have faced an ethical dilemma at work, and your experience of this
- interviews will take place online, via Microsoft Teams

If interested in taking part, do get in touch! Please feel free to share with friends and colleagues you think may be interested also. I am happy to answer any questions any one may have.

Contact details:
- Kerrie Sprigings, Trainee Clinical Psychologist
- email u1616635@uel.ac.uk
- University of East London; supervisor is Dr Kenneth Gannon

*This study has been approved by the School of Psychology Research Ethics Committee at The University of East London, and is being conducted to form my thesis, in pursuit of a Professional Doctorate in Clinical Psychology

workingmama
Team Member

Re: Participants needed: clinical psychology & moral distress

Post by workingmama » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:29 pm

Shame it was adult only (although I can see why you'd want to narrow the focus). I've got screeds from child neuro :-)
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Agreed, Workingmama. I understand the need to narrow parameters, but, working in Older Adult services, I could sink a battleship with the number of events that lead to major ethical and moral conundrums! A worthy topic to study, however, so I hope the study goes well.

theelaughingcow

Post by theelaughingcow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi workingmama and geishawife, thank you for your interest, and I agree it is a shame that we cannot have a wider net.

The rationale for recruiting from adult services was partly an assumption that decision-making processes are 'different' when working with adults whom may generally 'have capacity'.

Any questions, please do message me.