Any assistant/Psychologists who work with WAIS-IV conversion in the NHS?

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
cheuk209

Any assistant/Psychologists who work with WAIS-IV conversion in the NHS?

Post by cheuk209 »

Hi, I am a software engineer and I've built a website used to calculate WAIS-IV conversion quickly. Instead of having to use a manual/book to find the scores appropriate to a patient's raw scores and age, you can input them simply and get your FSIQ scores quickly.

I am aware that some NHS psychologists do these steps manually. I would love to be able to demo it to people, as I think it can provide some immediate value.

This is a passion side project for me to level up my skills, so I am happy to provide the service FOR FREE to any party interested. All I want is reviews and any feedback on how I can improve the website.

Let's talk?
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Any assistant/Psychologists who work with WAIS-IV conversion in the NHS?

Post by Geishawife »

First of all, such software is already available for many neuropsych tests (WAIS included) and, secondly, I'm not sure what Pearson would say about this given that such tests are only meant to be used and, more importantly, scored up by appropriately qualified people! No disrespect, but such tools need to be handled very carefully, not used as playthings or "sidelines" for people without the requisite knowledge. I would be very worried that someone could be developing such a tool without any real understanding of what scores mean and are used for. Plus, you could be opening yourself up to possible legal action if you are encroaching on areas that are under copyright. If you think you've developed something useful that adds to what is already available you could try approaching Pearson, but, as described above, what you are proposing really isn't new.
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Any assistant/Psychologists who work with WAIS-IV conversion in the NHS?

Post by miriam »

I need to warn you that Pearson will charge you to use your software, or prosecute you for incorporating copyright material from their manual. I made an easy-score system for a measure that didn't have one* and asked them if they wanted to develop and market it. They acted all enthusiastic and invited me to a meeting where they basically told me to pay £216/year to use it just for my own use, and that they'd prosecute me if I sold it to anyone else. So, yeah, no can do.

*and the WAIS not only does have one, it has had one for more than a decade and they make considerable amounts of money selling it.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.