Poster presentation referencing

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
clairey182

Poster presentation referencing

Post by clairey182 »

Hi all,

I have recently submitted an abstract detailing a service evaluation project that myself and colleagues put together last year. This has been accepted and two of the authors (including myself) will be presenting this as a poster at a conference later this year. I am first author (on the paper and the abstract/poster).

Can anyone please tell me how I reference a) the poster, and b) the abstract (as the paper is a non-published service evaluation).

Does the poster reference include all 5 authors of the paper, or just the presenters of the poster? Does the reference differ when the paper is non-published? Is it necessary to reference both the abstract and the poster in DClinPsy applications (in the dissemination section)?

Thanks in advance :D
Advertisement
Any Psychologists out there want to come and join us? We have an opportunity for an additional clinical/practitioner psychologist to join our highly skilled, tight knit, diverse clinical team https://www.amplify-yp.com/work-with-us
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Poster presentation referencing

Post by miriam »

The names on a paper/reference reflect who did the work, not who presented it. The format I'd use on a clinical application is:
Poster presentation: [All author names, date, conference name and location]. Abstract published in [publication name, date].
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.
workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama »

Just as a general reflection going forwards - whilst I am against vanity authorship (adding in someone that did not really make a contribution to the paper (because you owe them for something else/they are a 'big name'/ etc), I do think that being over rather than under inclusive when attributing authorship is a wise move. You can upset people hugely by cutting them out of an acknowledgement.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
clairey182

Post by clairey182 »

miriam wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:18 pm The names on a paper/reference reflect who did the work, not who presented it. The format I'd use on a clinical application is:
Poster presentation: [All author names, date, conference name and location]. Abstract published in [publication name, date].
Thank you Miriam!
clairey182

Post by clairey182 »

workingmama wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:55 am Just as a general reflection going forwards - whilst I am against vanity authorship (adding in someone that did not really make a contribution to the paper (because you owe them for something else/they are a 'big name'/ etc), I do think that being over rather than under inclusive when attributing authorship is a wise move. You can upset people hugely by cutting them out of an acknowledgement.
Thank you for this reflection, I absolutely agree. We acknowledged all involved with the conception of the group programme (on the poster) and all involved in the research, in any capacity, in the authorship.

As this was my first poster presentation, I was struggling to find a clear example of how to reference a poster when the research has not had a formal publication!

Thanks again :alien:
Alex

Post by Alex »

All people who made 'enough of a contribution' to the poster (or what was agreed in advance). It depends on the referencing style you need. I am assuming APA, which:

https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar- ... references

I would search the reference guideline as a matter of course.