PhD Scholarship vs AP Role Dilemma

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
sarahxgthr

PhD Scholarship vs AP Role Dilemma

Post by sarahxgthr »

Hi all,

My journey in psychology has been a long and frustrating one. I unfortunately got a 2.2 in my undergrad but was able to redeem this with a distinction MSc in Developmental Psychology. This however unfortunately means my career in terms of becoming a psychologist or clinical associate are very limited (unless I was to move to England to do the DClin from Scotland which unfortunately is not an option for me as I am settled here with my partner).

My conundrum is this:
I have just been offered my first NHS AP post which I am absolutely thrilled about as it has taken a long time to get to this point and the service is something I am really interested and passionate about.
I also have an upcoming PhD interview for a funded scholarship with stripend on a topic again I am really interested and passionate about.

If I was to be offered both, I am unsure which is the best choice, and if I should give up my AP role for the PhD. My current thoughts are despite the AP position being my dream job and I would love to do it for a few years, its progression will be limited as my 2.2 mark will still hold me back from further training (I don't believe PhD's can be deferred either)
The PhD option would obviously mean giving up this dream job (albeit for a subject I love) for academia (I do enjoy research and stats), but this in terms of a viable career may be more realistic in terms of an actual career with progression etc.

Does anyone have any experience in this area, or can offer any advice? I know the 2.2 dilemma is as old as the hills, but it would be great to get some feedback about this. Of course if I don't get the PhD my problems are solved!

Huge thanks
Advertisement
Any Psychologists out there want to come and join us? We have an opportunity for an additional clinical/practitioner psychologist to join our highly skilled, tight knit, diverse clinical team https://www.amplify-yp.com/work-with-us
alexh

Re: PhD Scholarship vs AP Role Dilemma

Post by alexh »

I'd lean towards the PhD in your situation. There's no reason why you couldn't follow the PhD with the clinical doctorate if you wish to in the future.
Our language is a necropolis of dead metaphors. Sarbin.
sarahxgthr

Post by sarahxgthr »

alexh wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:30 pm I'd lean towards the PhD in your situation. There's no reason why you couldn't follow the PhD with the clinical doctorate if you wish to in the future.
Thank you Alexh, I think I am feeling the same and it makes the most logical sense, reassuring to get another's view!
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

Go for the PhD interview and see how you feel after meeting the team and being in the department. You'll then get a better idea of what suits you. If you're offered both, like both and feel you'd be equally happy in either role then, yes, I would go for the PhD. But ultimately I would say do what you think would make you happiest and most fulfilled - life's too short to be doing something you hate!! Good luck whatever you end up doing.
sarahxgthr

Post by sarahxgthr »

Geishawife wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:11 pm Go for the PhD interview and see how you feel after meeting the team and being in the department. You'll then get a better idea of what suits you. If you're offered both, like both and feel you'd be equally happy in either role then, yes, I would go for the PhD. But ultimately I would say do what you think would make you happiest and most fulfilled - life's too short to be doing something you hate!! Good luck whatever you end up doing.
Thank you Geishawife, thats a really nice way of framing it. I think you are absolutely right, the interview will hopefully give me a better feel for things but I think the PhD potentially has the edge if both are equal. Luckily both are in a similar area that I think I will enjoy - both considering childhood development and trauma which I am really interested in, so a win win for both in that regard!
Alex

Post by Alex »

I agree with Geishawife in saying go to the interview. It can be easy to overthink these things without all the information you need, or even the offer!

Good luck.
sarahxgthr

Post by sarahxgthr »

Alex wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:54 pm I agree with Geishawife in saying go to the interview. It can be easy to overthink these things without all the information you need, or even the offer!

Good luck.
That's a really good point (and exactly what I have been doing haha) but hopefully the interview will help to clarify things, and I'll see what comes out the other end. Either way something good is lined up which is nice :D

Thanks Alex!