Academic referee choice

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
simonl25

Academic referee choice

Post by simonl25 »

I was wondering whether anyone would be able to help me decide what would be the best approach regarding academic referee choice for the upcoming DClin application. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Option 1: Dissertation Supervisor (while studying on MSc Psychology (Conversion))

This person did my academic reference for the 22/23 application. The process was a bit of a nightmare and he only completed it at the last minute, which though understandable (he had physical health issues and there were staff cuts/strikes at the university) did cause me a lot of stress. I did get a 1st on the dissertation and we had some good supervision sessions, but not sure if the reference process soured our relationship because I was doing so much chasing!

Option 2: Chief Investigator on CBT Trial at UCL (while working as a Research Assistant)

This person had oversight of my work, academic history (as he interviewed me), and would most likely write me a decent reference. He supervises PhD students and encouraged me to apply for one previously. However, I have read that typically an academic reference should come from where you studied rather than worked (despite it being in an academic field).

Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you,
Simon
robininthewind

Re: Academic referee choice

Post by robininthewind »

Perhaps one advantage of option 1 is that he could submit pretty much the same reference again? Perhaps it was a rushed reference due to his situation at the time, (and it may be worth asking to read the reference if you haven't already), but if it was a good reference, it wouldn't be too much effort for him to log back into his Clearing House account and submit it again.

Ultimately, reference suitability is based on who is most able to comment on your academic ability. I'm sure you're aware of that, but just to emphasise that point: who do you think would be able to give more concrete examples of your work in the reference form? Who would be able to write more, or elaborate more?
sophs97

Post by sophs97 »

I was in the same position as you this year and ended up asking my manager (I'm in an RA post) to be my academic reference as I felt they had a better sense of my recent work. I can't comment on which would be better in your position, but I did get 2 interviews and a place this year, so I don't think you need to worry about courses not finding it to be suitable - you can likely just make your decision based on who knows you and your academic work best!
simonl25

Post by simonl25 »

Thanks both - really appreciate it!