Can one get sponsered for an AP post?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
sarah987

Can one get sponsered for an AP post?

Post by sarah987 »

Hello all,
I came to the UK as an international student (Non-EU). Did an undergrad psych degree (1:1). I have recently started working as an Assistant Psychologist on a graduate visa (this gives the right to work for 2 years). I’d like to stay in the UK till I am a permanent resident, this would take 10 yrs of living here altogether. If this happens then I’d be able to start applying for the clinical doctorate. For now, I need to think about what I’ll do once my current visa expires. I have plenty of time left till this happens but I am also aware it is probably the point at which this plan falls apart.

If all goes according to plan in the short term here is the situation I’ll be in when my graduate visa expires:
- I would have 2 years of AP experience (NHS); plus
- 1 yr undergrad psych placement (NHS)
- 1 yrs part-time HCA (Non-NHS)
- 4 yrs voluntary helpline volunteer
- I would have lived 6 years in the UK
- I would need to be on a skilled worker/ health & social care worker visa for the following 4 yrs if I am to become a permanent resident.

My questions are:
- Q1: What do you think is my likelihood of getting sponsored for an AP post at that point (after grad visa expires)? What about private? Would it be unrealistic to think, if I do well these 2 yrs my current employer would be willing to sponsor me to carry on my current role?

- Q2: In a hypothetical situation in which I somehow find an employer willing to sponsor an AP post do you think the government would even approve a skilled worker visa/ health & social care application for an AP position considering it’s not a shortage occupation?

- Q3: Finally, do you think any other job might be worth considering that would offer an increased likelihood of me getting sponsored? Where do you think my experience might be transferable? The only thing I can think of HCA because I did a bit of that before & is a shortage occupation but not sure if I have a chance at anything else.

Note: I really do appreciate any answers and any ideas even if you’re unsure. Signposting is also helpful.
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Can one get sponsered for an AP post?

Post by miriam »

My understanding of the law is that you need to either earn more than £38k to gain the right to live here without a visa, or be working in a profession for which we can't recruit British applicants. Neither of these would apply to AP roles, and visa applications are an administrative burden on the employer too, so I think your plan is not really grounded in reality. I know my company would never attempt to get a visa for an AP - we get 60-150 British applicants per post we advertise, so we'd never be able to justify it. So perhaps something like social work, or care work within contexts that they struggle to recruit?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.
sarah987

Post by sarah987 »

Thank you Miriam for your prompt response! That is very helpful.

If I may, you mentioned in your company, that you'd never attempt to get a visa for an AP as the company wouldn't be able to justify it, do you think there is a chance it would be justifiable if this individual has been working there for 2 years already (keeping in mind that would save you having to induct someone new)?

I do take your point regarding getting a visa is most likely not feasible, especially in regards to the law & the role not being in shortage. Also thank you for the suggestion of social work as I have not considered that, will look into it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

As I understand it, it isn't about the individual, it is about the post. If you can fill the post easily with a British person, it would be hard to justify a visa. How long someone has been in the post is not relevant.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.