Social Learning Theory- Relevant?

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
SamXO

Social Learning Theory- Relevant?

Post by SamXO »

Hello.
Im not sure whether I have posted this in the right area.
Ive been doing some research on SLT as my undergrad knowledge was quite basic. I am aware that SLT has been quite influential within psychology- contributing to CBT and other interventions. I feel like its quite simplistic and we have better theories to explain how human learn and acquire behaviour. My question is that would it still be considered relevant to apply to practice today? We cannot deny it has had an impact but should it still be referenced within work or practice? Many thanks.
SamXO

Re: Social Learning Theory- Relevant?

Post by SamXO »

I forgot to add- im aware the theory has held up well against the test of time; its principles can be applied to the 'modern age' and ever evolving technology such as TV, video games, Social media etc however is it too deterministic to consider that a child may re-enact a celebrities behaviours because they will receive praise from their friends (that's a very simple example but gets the point across).
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Social Learning Theory- Relevant?

Post by miriam »

It sounds like you are doing an essay in undergrad psychology (or A-level, perhaps) rather than thinking about a career in clinical psychology, which may be why you haven't had any responses. How did it go?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.