How to choose Academic and Relevant Experience Referee

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
blan09

How to choose Academic and Relevant Experience Referee

Post by blan09 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:22 am

I am trying to decide who would be the best referees for my DClinPsy application this year. I will be applying for the first time.

I could have good reference from Clinical Psychologist, who supervised my MSc clinically relevant dissertation and I workshadowed him after MSc graduation. The problem is that this was 15 years ago in different country...

Another option would be to ask my academic tutor from the course I did recently in the UK, however, it is only PgCert.

I don't have any direct NHS experience as AP, althought I worked very hard to find one. I know this would be a big disadvantage for me, but I still would like to try to apply to DClinPsy this year.
Last edited by blan09 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blan09

Post by blan09 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:50 am

I guess I will try to go with the most relevant referees - CP, although they might seem to be a bit "out of date" ...

I would appreciate hearing other people experiences.

BlueCat

Post by BlueCat » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:24 am

Hey, sorry your original query went unanswered. Most people, like I did, probably read it and thought, "hmm, that's a puzzler" and hoped someone else owuld respond!

I guess for you, the fact that your experiences are so far in the past is going to be a significant disadvantage, since theory and practice move on, significantly in fifteen years!

I guess it will be good to have a reference from a psychologist, but perhaps you could ask them to comment on your more recent experiences as well? Would they be willing to liaise with your current managers to get an idea of what you are doing now?

Academically, you don't seem to have many good options. I think I agree with you, the long past MSc referee is probably the better, although not great, bet. Ideally, someone current or more recent would be good - are you sure the current MSc wouldn't be an option?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

blan09

Post by blan09 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi BlueCat,

thank you for your response. I was - and I am aware - that my question is a puzzler. It has been slightly discouraging yesterday to see that my post was read about 150 times but no reply came... but I have to admit, I often read posts and don't reply to them, when I feel that question is too puzzling.

I might try to ask for advice at the University where I am appling to. But I think this is a bit tricky - if that is possible at all, as I study at the same University my MSc. And my MSc dissertation research project supervisor is a tutor Clinical Psychology department - where I am applying to. She seems to be positive about me and my academic work so far, but she was discouraging me from applying to DClinPsy. So I don't think I can ask that person to write academic reference for my DClinPsy application.

Thank you for your support!
Last edited by blan09 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:30 pm

blan09 wrote:my MSc dissertation research project supervisor is actually someone with very high position at Clinical Psychology department - where I am applying to. She seems to be positive about me and my academic work so far, but she was encouraging me to apply to PhD instead to DClinPsy. That answers the question - I don't think I can ask that person to write academic reference for my DClinPsy application.
Sounds like the perfect academic reference, if she will say she wants you to do a PhD then she clearly thinks you are capable of working at doctoral level! I'd just ask her whether she'd be willing to write something supportive, even though she has been encouraging a different path. It sounds like she would.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

blan09

Post by blan09 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Thank you, Miriam! Your reply surprises me, as I thought it would be a bit tricky to ask for reference someone, who might be actually choosing students for their course, as she is managing director of the unit...

I need to practice some more divergent thinking and find the way to ask her... I was thinking about using my "old" reference, who supported my "old" MSc and who is now President of Psychological Society in different country :)

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:23 pm

blan09,

A few months back I attended a meeting headed by one of the psychologists responsible for selecting course candidates. He spent an hour or so giving hints and tips for completing a good application.

One of the questions that came up concerned references. Someone had applied previously, without success. She was an RMN, had additional experience in different psychological areas, and had two very good references - one a consultant educational psychologist, the other a psychiatrist. She asked what else she needed to do to get on, assuming her written application was not complete pants. His response: get a clinical psychologist to reference.

His rationale was that no other professional could say for certain that any individual was capable of being a clinical psychologist, as no other professional knew exactly what the work involved. I think that's an extreme view to take, but I can't understand too where he's coming from. Of course, this is just his interpretation of someone's failure to get
a course. Whether you think he's correct or not is a matter for debate!

However, if I were you, considering your CP reference is also President of the Psychological Society in your country, I would have no hesitation in asking them to reference you.

ElizabethB

Post by ElizabethB » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:58 am

@lex wrote:blan09,

A few months back I attended a meeting headed by one of the psychologists responsible for selecting course candidates. He spent an hour or so giving hints and tips for completing a good application.

One of the questions that came up concerned references. Someone had applied previously, without success. She was an RMN, had additional experience in different psychological areas, and had two very good references - one a consultant educational psychologist, the other a psychiatrist. She asked what else she needed to do to get on, assuming her written application was not complete pants. His response: get a clinical psychologist to reference.

His rationale was that no other professional could say for certain that any individual was capable of being a clinical psychologist, as no other professional knew exactly what the work involved. I think that's an extreme view to take, but I can't understand too where he's coming from. Of course, this is just his interpretation of someone's failure to get
a course. Whether you think he's correct or not is a matter for debate!

However, if I were you, considering your CP reference is also President of the Psychological Society in your country, I would have no hesitation in asking them to reference you.
Thanks for your post!

I'm also wondering about this!

My supervisors in my current job are both clinical and health psychologists (one is a leading academic within clinical and health psychology) so I think I'll be using them as references rather than my PhD supervisors. (My PhD supervisors are not psychologists)

I've just been promoted to a postdoc researcher in the unit- so hopefully my current clinical psychology supervisors at my new job (they both supervise PhD students) will provide me with a good reference and could comment on my standard of work.....